|Coordinates: 35°39′43.7″N 138°34′5.6″E / 35.662139°N 138.568222°ECoordinates: 35°39′43.7″N 138°34′5.6″E / 35.662139°N 138.568222°E|
|• -Mayor||Yūichi Higuchi (since February 2015)|
|• Total||212.47 km2 (82.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||909/km2 (2,350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|- Bird||Common kingfisher|
|Address||2-17-1 Aioi, Kofu-shi, Yamanashi-ken400-8585|
Kōfu (甲府市, Kōfu-shi) is the capital city of Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan.
It has been recognized as a special city since 2000.
History[change | change source]
Kōfu's name means "capital of Kai Province". During the Sengoku period, it was the stronghold of Takeda Shingen.
Special places[change | change source]
People from Kōfu[change | change source]
- Hidetoshi Nakata, football player who last played with Bolton Wanderers in the Premier League. He retired following World Cup 2006.
- Naoko Takeuchi, Creator of Sailor Moon and other comics.
Sports[change | change source]
A J-League football team, Ventforet Kofu is based in Kōfu. Their home ground is the Kose Sports Stadium.
Sister cities[change | change source]
- Cheongju, South Korea
- Chengdu, China
- Des Moines, Iowa, USA
- Lodi, California, USA
- Pau, France, France
- Yamatokoriyama, Nara, Japan
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Jacobs, A.J. "Japan's Evolving Nested Municipal Hierarchy: The Race for Local Power in the 2000s," Urban Studies Research (2011), Table 3; retrieved 2012-12-18.
- ↑ "Consolidation of Local Governments in Japan and Effects on Sister City Relationships Archived 2007-10-19 at the Wayback Machine," Consulate General of Japan, San Francisco
Other websites[change | change source]
- Kōfu official website - Japanese
- Yamanashi International Association[permanent dead link] - English
Media related to Kofu, Yamanashi at Wikimedia Commons