|Elevation||198–400 m (650–1,312 ft)|
|Land area1||8.5 km2 (3.3 sq mi)|
|- Density||117 /km2 (300 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||57356/ 57330|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
History[change | change source]
Origin of the name[change | change source]
The first mention of the village is under the name Cantevanne, in a 1239 text. Later it became Kaufen. In 1801, it changed to Kanfen. The name stayed the same when Alsace-Moselle became part of the German Empire in 1870.
History of the commune[change | change source]
Kanfen and all of the Thionville region was dependent of the Duchy of Luxembourg. Le Grand Condé took Thionville in 1643. The village became part of the Kingdom of France. This was confirmed by the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659.
Geography[change | change source]
The commune regroups Kanfen and Kanfen-sous-Bois.
Monuments[change | change source]
- Old Castle of the Lord of Kanfen, called Keybourg. It is now a presbytery where the castle used to be.
- Saint-Maurice Church, located in Keybourg. It was built in 1744 on the side of a hill.
- A bildstock dating back to 1634. It is where the Rue Volmerange and the Rue de Keybourg cross.
Demography[change | change source]
|From the year 1968 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) only counted once.|
References[change | change source]
- CartesFrance.fr (French)
- "Cassini". http://cassini.ehess.fr/cassini/fr/html/fiche.php?select_resultat=18100. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Kanfen's name". http://kanfen.free.fr/Kanfen/Cantevanne.html. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Commune of Kanfen's website - geography". http://www.kanfen.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=7&id=34&Itemid=101. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- INSEE's website
- 2006 Estimations - INSEE
- Estimations - INSEE
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Kanfen|