Singh is a member of India's Upper House of Parliament, the Rajya Sabha representing the National Capital Territory of Delhi. He is a senior member of the Indian National Congress Party who served successively as President (Sadr-i-Riyasat) and Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
Singh is the son of the last ruler of the erstwhile princely state of Jammu and Kashmir, Maharaja Hari Singh. In the 26th amendment to the Constitution of India promulgated in 1971, the Government of India, of which Karan Singh was a Union cabinet minister, abolished all official symbols of princely India, including titles, privileges, and remuneration (privy purses). During the conclusion of the Cold War, he was India's ambassador to the USA. Singh received the Padma Vibhushan in 2005.
References[change | change source]
- "Dr. Karan Singh". www.karansingh.com. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Karan Singh on Accession of Kashmir to India". Outlook India magazine. 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- Saraf, Nandini (2012). The Life and Times of Lokmanya Tilak. Prabhat Prakashan. p. 341. ISBN 978-81-8430-152-6.
Before leaving Srinagar he also had long talks with Yuvraj Karan Singh, who was then being pressed to become the Sadr-i-Riyasat - President of the State.
- Rajya Sabha MP Karan Singh slams attempts to brand Hari Singh as communal
- "The Constitution (26 Amendment) Act, 1971", indiacode.nic.in, Government of India, 1971, retrieved 9 November 2011
- 1. Ramusack, Barbara N. (2004). The Indian princes and their states. Cambridge University Press. p. 278. ISBN 978-0-521-26727-4. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- Bhim Singh pitches Dr Karan Singh as next President, Daily Excelsior, 2017-06-05, retrieved 2017-06-18
- "Propose Dr. Karan Singh as next President: Prof. Bhim". JK Monitor. Retrieved 2017-06-18. no-break space character in
|title=at position 43 (help)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karan Singh.|
- Dr. Karan Singh's Official Website
- Dr. Karan Singh's Official Twitter
- Dr. Karan Singh's Official Facebook Page
- Film: I Believe: Universal Values for a Global Society with Dr. Singh and by Raja Choudhury.
- Genealogy of the ruling chiefs of Jammu and Kashmir
- Proclamation of May 1, 1951 on Jammu & Kashmir Constituent Assembly by Yuvraj (Crown Prince) Karan Singh from the Official website of Government of Jammu and Kashmir, India