Karlstadt am Main
|• Mayor (2020–26)||Michael Hombach (CSU)|
|• Total||98.11 km2 (37.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||163 m (535 ft)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Dialling codes||09353, 09359 (Rohrbach)|
Karlstadt is a town in Main-Spessart in the Regierungsbezirk of Lower Franconia (Unterfranken) in Bavaria, Germany. It is the administrative centre of Main-Spessart (Kreisstadt), and has a population of around 15,000.
Geography[change | change source]
Karlstadt is on the River Main in Main-Spessart, about 25 km north of the city of Würzburg. It belongs to the Main-Franconian wine-growing region. The town itself is on the right edge of the river, but the municipal territory extends to the left edge.
Notable people[change | change source]
- Johannes Schöner (b. 1477, d. 1547 in Nuremberg), mathematician, geographer, cartographer, astronomer, and astrologist
- Andreas Bodenstein (b. about 1482, d. 1541 in Basel), also named after his birthplace Karlstadt, or in Latinized form Carolstadius, reformer
- Johann Draconites (b. about 1494, d. 1566 in Wittenberg), theologian, humanistic philosopher, and reformer
- Michael Beuther (b. 1522, d. 1587 in Strasbourg), historian, poet, jurist, and official
- Johann Rudolph Glauber (b. 1604 in Karlstadt; d. 1670 in Amsterdam), apothecary and chemist
- Franz Sperr (b. 1878, d. 23 January 1945 executed in Berlin-Plötzensee), jurist and member of the Widerstand in the Third Reich
- Bernhard Fech (b. 1887, d. 1915 near Soldau in Masuria), painter
- Hermann Sendelbach (b. 1894 in Wiesenfeld-Erlenbach, d. 1971), writer, poet
- Ruth Westheimer (b. Karola Ruth Siegel and known as "Dr. Ruth," 4 June 1928 in Wiesenfeld), sex therapist, talk show host, author, professor, Holocaust survivor, and former Haganah sniper; later, U.S. citizen.
- Detlef Wagenthaler (b. 1948 in Aschaffenburg, d. 2007 in Karlstadt), carnevalist
- Roland Büchner (b. 1954), Regensburg cathedral choirmaster, conductor, leader of the Regensburger Domspatzen
Gallery[change | change source]
Karlsburg, Karlstadt, on the west bank of the Main
Main gate with flood gauge, Karlstadt
Main gate tower and main gate, Karlstadt
Bond of the town of Karlstadt am Main, issued 1 September 1888
References[change | change source]
- Liste der ersten Bürgermeister/Oberbürgermeister in kreisangehörigen Gemeinden, Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik, 15 July 2021.
- Genesis Online-Datenbank des Bayerischen Landesamtes für Statistik Tabelle 12411-003r Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes: Gemeinden, Stichtag (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)