Khaled Asaad (Arabic: خالد الأسعد; 1934 – 18 August 2015) was a Syrian archaeologist. He was the head of antiquities in the city of Palmyra for more than forty years. In May 2015, Palmyra came under the control of the terrorist militant group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), and Asaad was amongst those captured during this time. He was executed on 18 August 2015.
References[change | change source]
- "Syrian archaeologist 'killed in Palmyra' by IS militants". BBC News. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Islamic State militants behead archaeologist in Palmyra - Syrian official, Aug 18, 2015.
- IS tötet früheren Chef-Archäologen von Palmyra, tagesschau.de, Aug 19, 2015.
- "Islamic State beheads Syrian antiquities scholar in ancient town of Palmyra".
- "Beheaded Syrian scholar refused to lead Isis to hidden Palmyra antiquities".
- Hubbard, Ben (2015-08-19). "ISIS Beheads Syrian Antiquities Scholar in Palmyra". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-08-19.