|• Mayor||Hubert Fischer|
|• Total||44.64 km2 (17.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation||512 m (1,680 ft)|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Krumbach, Bavaria or Krumbach (Swabia), (German: Krumbach, Bayern, Swabian: Krombach, Bayre) is a town with about 12.500 persons in Günzburg (district) in the Bavarian government region Swabia (Government Region), Germany. In Günzburg (district) only Günzburg with about 19.689 persons has more persons than Krumbach.
Geography / Nature[change | change source]
Krumbach (Elevation 512 m (1680 ft)) is in the valley of the little river Kammel in the natural region Lower Iller-Lech Gravel Plateau . The hills between the valleys of Kammel and the neighboring valleys of Günz and Mindel are covered with wood in parts. Cities near Krumbach are Ulm (40 kilometres northwest from Krumbach), Augsburg (48 kilometres east from Krumbach) and Munich (120 kilometres east from Krumbach).Towns near Krumbach are Günzburg (27 kilometres north from Krumbach), Mindelheim (30 kilometres south from Krumbach) and Memmingen (40 kilometres southwest from Krumbach).
History[change | change source]
1156: Krumbach was founded
1370: the village got the right to hold a market
1305-1805: Krumbach was part of the Margraviate of Burgau, a part of Austria (the colours of the coat of arms (red and white) show the colours of Austria until today)
1805: Krumbach became Bavarian
1895: Krumbach became a town
1902: the neighboring village Hürben, a village with many Jewish persons became part of the town Krumbach
until 1972: Krumbach was the capital of Krumbach, Swabia (district)
The villages Attenhausen, Edenhausen, Billenhausen, Hirschfelden, Hohenraunau and Niederraunau became in the years between 1972 and 1978 part of the municipality Krumbach.
Sights and attractions[change | change source]
- market place and historic town hall
- church St Michael
- church St Ulrich in Hürben
- church Maria Hilf
- church Lindlkirche
- castle of Krumbach
- moated castle of Hürben
- Landauer Haus
- Middleswabian local heritage museum
- waxart museum
- church of Niederraunau
- castle of Niederraunau
- Dossenberger Pfarrhof (parsonage) Billenhausen
Church St Michael and Castle of Krumbach from the municipal park
Miscellaneous[change | change source]
- The Krumbad is a health resort one kilometre east of Krumbach. It is the oldest health resort of Swabia.
- In the valley of Günz – six kilometres west of Krumbach there is the Oberrieder Weiher, a flooded gravel pit, which is today a greenbelt recreation area.
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krumbach (Schwaben).|
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). January 2018.