LOL is an internet slang term that means "laugh out loud". Sometimes it is used to mean "lots of love".
It also means mute in Persian and is a native Dutch word (not an acronym) which means "fun" ("lollig" means "funny"). In Welsh, lol means nonsense - e.g., if a person wanted to say "utter nonsense" in Welsh, they would say "rwtsh lol". LOL is usually used on the internet or when text messaging.
Different ways LOL can be used[change | change source]
- lolz, lulz, lul, lawls, or lawl/lawlzies: Sometimes used instead of LOL, but can have other meanings.
- LOLOLOLOL: For more emphasis. Any amount of "OL"s can be added to the end of LOL.
- LMAO: Stands for "Laughing my ass off". Another way to say it is LMFAO ("Laughing my fucking ass off").
- ROFL: For "Rolling on the floor laughing". It is often combined with LMAO to make ROFLMAO ("Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off"). Another way to write this is ROTFL.
- ROTFLOL: Rolling on the floor laughing out loud used by Weird Al in the song "White and Nerdy".
- LEL: Basically lol; except used by those wanting to be different from the millions of internet users.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Welsh-English Lexicon". Cardiff School of Computer Science. http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/LexiconWE.html. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- "Urban Dictionary: used in chat and text messaging". urbandictionary.com. 2011 [last update]. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=used%20in%20chat%20and%20text%20messaging. Retrieved 1 February 2011.
- "LMAO". NetLingo. http://www.netlingo.com/word/lmao.phphttp://www.netlingo.com/word/lmao.php. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- "Lel". Urban Dictionary. 28 May 2008. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lel. Retrieved 10 December 2015.