|Created by||Magnús Scheving|
|Based on||Áfram Latibær!|
by Magnús Scheving
|Country of origin||Iceland|
Canada (seasons 3-4)
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||78 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||24 minutes|
Sjónvarpið, Stöð 2
Nickelodeon (Season 1–2)
Noggin (season 1)
Cartoonito (Season 3–4)
TVOKids (Season 3-4)
|Picture format||HDTV 1080p|
|Original release||16 August 2004 –|
2 April 2016
|Followed by||LazyTown Extra|
LazyTown (Icelandic: Latibær) is an Icelandic children's television musical series. The series is educational and teaches children to be healthy and exercise. The program was created Magnús Scheving, an aerobics champion who also plays the character Sportacus, and it is based upon his Icelandic stage plays. The series has won multiple awards.
The show has been very successful and has aired in many countries around the world.
Basis of the program[change | change source]
The show features live-action characters and puppet characters in a colorful town called LazyTown. At the start of the series, the town's citizens are very lazy. The mayor's niece, Stephanie, comes to change that. An athletic superhero named Sportacus helps her. He teaches the children of the town to eat healthy food and exercise each day. However, their fun is often stopped by the town's laziest man, Robbie Rotten. He tries to make the children lazy again and tries to remove Sportacus and Stephanie from the town. Robbie's plans often fail. The show' has an educational message for viewers, and songs or dance numbers performed by the characters. Usually Stephanie is the lead singer or dancer.
Characters[change | change source]
- Sportacus: Sportacus is the main protagonist, a mustached superhero who is a skilled athlete, often moving around by performing acrobatic flips and moves. He lives in an airship. Like Stephanie, he is a skilled singer and dancer. Played by Magnús Scheving (the creator of LazyTown).
- Stephanie: Stephanie is a pink-haired girl who enjoys singing, dancing, and playing sports. Her favorite color is pink as seen with her hair, clothes, and other accessories. Played by Julianna Rose Mauriello and later by Chloe Lang.
- Robbie Rotten: Robbie is the main antagonist, a lazy man who wants the children of LazyTown to remain indoors and be lazy. Played by Stefán Karl Stefánsson.
- Ziggy: A kindhearted boy who eats a lot of sweets and candy. He looks up to Sportacus. Voiced and puppetry by Guðmundur Þór Kárason and Lorraine Parsloe in UK dub.
- Pixel: An intelligent boy who lives in a house filled with robotic gadgets. He often plays video games and uses devices to perform simple tasks instead of doing them himself. Voiced by Kobie Powell and Chris Knowings. Puppetry by Ronald Binion and Julie Westwood and Joanna Ruiz in UK dub.
- Stingy: A greedy and possessive boy who often claims that objects belong to him, even if they do not. He drives around in a car and owns a piggy bank called "Piggy." Voiced and puppetry by Jodi Eichelberger and Sarah Burgess/Julie Westwood in UK dub.
- Trixie: A trouble-making girl who rides around on a scooter. Voiced and puppetry by Sarah Burgess and Aymee Garcia and Joanna Ruiz in UK dub.
- Mayor Milford Meanswell: The town's mayor and Stephanie's uncle. Voiced and puppetry by David Matthew Feldman.
- Bessie Busybody: The mayor's assistant. Voiced and puppetry by Julie Westwood.