Leader of the Soviet Union
The Leaders of the Soviet Union were the rulers of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. They wielded absolute or nearly absolute political control over the Soviet citizens lives.
- Vladimir Lenin - The first Soviet ruler who overthrew tzar and formed the USSR. From 1922 to 1924.
- Joseph Stalin - The ruler who intensified collectivization and conducted many purges. 1924 to 1953.
- Nikita Khrushchev - The one who toned down Stalin's policies a bit. 1953 to 1964
- Leonid Brezhnev - From 1964 to 1982
- Yuri Andropov - Ruled from 1982 to 1984
- Konstantin Chernenko - Ruled 1984 and 1985
- Mikhail Gorbachev - The last Soviet Premier from 1985 to 1991.