Lyova Haskell Rosenthal
October 31, 1925[a]
New York City, U.S.
|Occupation||Actress and director|
(m. 1951; div. 1960)
Joseph Feury (m. 1970)
|Children||2, including Dinah Manoff|
Lee Grant (born Lyova Haskell Rosenthal; October 31, 1925) is an American actress and director. Her role in the 1951 movie Detective Story as a young shoplifter got her an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Her role in the 1975 movie Shampoo, won her an Oscar. She also won two Emmy Awards during her career.
Notes[change | change source]
- There is debate about when Grant was born. Government records say she was born in 1925 and in an interview she also mentioned she was born in 1925, however Grant herself has mentioned her age many times and often different every time. In some cases, when she would mention her age, her birth year would differ from 1927–1931
References[change | change source]
- "New York, New York, Birth Index, 1910-1965". Ancestry.com. New York City Department of Health. Retrieved February 2, 2018. Note: online record mistranscribed as "21 Oct"; original document states October 31.
- Lee Grant (April 11, 2017). "Actress Lee Grant Confesses Her Age And Chats About Blacklisting" (Interview). X17 Online. Archived from the original on 2021-12-21. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Rickey, Carrie (July 17, 2014), "'I Said Yes to Everything', by Lee Grant", SFGate.com, retrieved January 22, 2017,
Lyova Rosenthal was born in the mid-1920s. The granddaughter of Polish and Russian immigrants is famously inexact about her age. From her mid-20s to her mid-30s, the blacklist left her unemployable in TV and film, so she lied about her years, whatever they were, to remain viable as an actress.
- United States. Congress. House. Un-American Activities (1958). Hearings. Vol. 2. United States Government Publishing Office. p. 2596.
- Vaughn, Robert (1972). Only Victims: A Study of Show Business Blacklisting. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 227. ISBN 9780879100810. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "Photos: Academy Award Winner Lee Grant Shines at Hope Runs High's Opening Night Bash for Film Forum's LEE GRANT: ACTOR. FILMMAKER Series".
- Profile, forward.com; accessed September 9, 2014.