|Type||Privately held company|
|Klaus Gehrig, Chairman|
|Products||Discount store, hypermarket/supercenter/superstore|
|Revenue||€59 billion (2010)|
Number of employees
Lidl Stiftung & Co. KG is a German food retail company. It is an international enterprise with independent national companies almost everywhere in Europe. The company owns more than 10,000 stores. 3,000 of these stores are in Germany alone, making Germany Lidl's biggest national market.
History[change | change source]
The Lidl & Schwarz Grocery Wholesale company was founded in Germany in the 1930s.
The first Lidl stores were opened in 1973, during the 1990s Lidl started to open stores outside Germany and today Lidl stores can be found in nearly every country in Europe. Lidl started its foreign expansion with entering France in 1988. The first store in the United Kingdom was opened in 1994, and now there are more than 380 stores in the UK.
Sources[change | change source]
- "Lidl set to power trade". Telegraph. 21 August 2010. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Über Lidl Deutschland" [About Lidl Germany]. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "German discounter Lidl slows U.S. expansion: paper". Reuters. 17 January 2018. Retrieved 2021-01-09.
- "Secrets of the German supermarkets conquering America (24 slides)". LoveMoney. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Aldis Erzfeind" (in German). Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Der Geheimnis-Krämer" (in German). Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Lidl opens its 700th store in the UK". BBC News. 2018-02-15. Retrieved 2021-08-24.