List of current NHL captains and alternate captains
||This article may have too many red links. (November 2016)|
The National Hockey League (NHL) is a professional ice hockey league with 30 teams founded in 1917. Each team can select a captain, who has the "sole privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game". Each team is also allowed to pick alternate captains, who work when the captain is not on the ice. Captains have to wear the letter "C" on their uniform to show who they are; alternate captains wear the letter "A". Both letters are 3 inches (7.6 cm) in height.
Some teams in the NHL do not have a captain. Rule 6.2 of the 2008–09 Official NHL Rulebook says that "[only] when the Captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game." Many NHL teams with a captain select more than two alternate captains and change who wears the "A" for different games during the season.
Goaltenders are not allowed to be captains during games. This rule was made in 1948 after teams did not like that it took Montreal Canadiens goaltender Bill Durnan too long to skate to talk with the officials and back to his crease. However, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo was the team's captain, but because of the NHL rule against goaltender captains, the league did not allow Luongo to act as captain on-ice. Because of this, the Canucks were allowed to have three alternate captains in games, instead of two that most teams have. Two (of the three) alternate captains took care of Luongo's on-ice work: Willie Mitchell (then alternate captain) talked to the officials. Luongo was not allowed to wear the "C" on his jersey, but it was part of the artwork on the front of his mask. Other than Durnan and Luongo, five other goaltenders have been captain o their team: John Ross Roach of the Toronto St. Patricks, George Hainsworth of the Montreal Canadiens, Roy Worters of the New York Americans, Alex Connell of the Ottawa Senators, and Charlie Gardiner of the Chicago Black Hawks.
Jonathan Toews, captain of the Chicago Blackhawks, is the third-youngest player to be named captain of a team in NHL history. Only Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Vincent Lecavalier of the Tampa Bay Lightning were younger than Toews when first named as captain. In 1984, Brian Bellows was named temporary captain of the Minnesota North Stars when Craig Hartsburg was hurt, and is the youngest player to captain a team in NHL history. However, because Bellows was only the temporary captain, Sidney Crosby is the youngest permanent captain in NHL history.
Captains[change | change source]
This list was updated July 3rd 2014, but not for all teams
Notes[change | change source]
- a Player is currently on the injured reserve list
- b Player is injured and expected to miss the remainder of the season.
References[change | change source]
- "Rule 6 - Captain and Alternate Captains". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- Rossi, Rob (2008-10-02). "The A-B-Cs of the 'C' and 'A'". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "Kings' Brown, Sabres' Rivet named captains". Canwest News Service. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- The Canadian Press (2008-10-05). "Luongo sports captain's 'C' on goalie mask". CBC Sports. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Canucks name goaltender Luongo as team captain". The Sports Network. 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- Joe Pelletier (2008-09-30). "Captain Puckstopper". Joe Pelletier. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Toews named 34th captain in team history". Chicago Blackhawks. 2008-07-18. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- McKeon, Ross (2007-12-10). "Mailbag: More Crosby". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- "Boston Bruins team roster". Boston Bruins. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Switaj, Caryn. "David Krejci Deservedly Earns 'A' But Leadership Goes Beyond Letters for B's". BostonBruins.com / Bruins Blog. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Buffalo Sabres team roster". Buffalo Sabres. Retrieved 2013-10-01. Invalid
<ref>tag; name "buf" defined multiple times with different content
- "Carolina Hurricanes team roster". Carolina Hurricanes. Retrieved 2013-10-13. Invalid
<ref>tag; name "col" defined multiple times with different content
- "Chicago Blackhawks team roster". Chicago Blackhawks. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "Columbus Blue Jackets team roster". Columbus Blue Jackets. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- "Dallas Stars team roster". Dallas Stars. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Detroit Red Wings team roster". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Edmonton Oilers team roster". Edmonton Oilers. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Wescott, Chris. "Ference tabbed as leader of Oilers". edmontonoilers.com. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- Staples, David. "Edmonton Oilers name alternate captains including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Florida Panthers team roster". Florida Panthers. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- "Los Angeles Kings team roster". Los Angeles Kings. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Minnesota Wild team roster". Minnesota Wild. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Montreal Canadiens team roster". Montreal Canadiens. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- "Nashville Predators team roster". Nashville Predators. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "New Jersey Devils team roster". New Jersey Devils. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Halford, Mike (2013-10-02). "Devils name Zajac alternate captain". NBC Sports. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "New York Islanders team roster". New York Islanders. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "New York Rangers team roster". New York Rangers. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Ottawa Senators team roster". Ottawa Senators. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Philadelphia Flyers team roster". Philadelphia Flyers. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Phoenix Coyotes team roster". Phoenix Coyotes. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Pittsburgh Penguins team roster". Pittsburgh Penguins. Retrieved 2013-03-29.
- "St. Louis Blues team roster". St. Louis Blues. Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- "San Jose Sharks team roster". San Jose Sharks. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Tampa Bay Lightning team roster". Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved 2013-10-13.
- "Vancouver Canucks team roster". Vancouver Canucks. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Washington Capitals team roster". Washington Capitals. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Winnipeg Jets team roster". Winnipeg Jets. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Toronto Maple Leafs team roster". Toronto Maple Leafs. Retrieved 2013-02-16.