List of districts in Assam
Administration[change | change source]
A district of an Indian state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by the Deputy Commissioner (DC), which combines the offices of the District Magistrate ultimately responsible for maintaining law and order and District Collector responsible for collection of the revenue. Generally, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service becomes the DC but occasionally officers belonging to the Assam Civil Service too get appointed. The DC is assisted by a number of officials belonging to different wings of the administrative services of the state.
The districts of Assam are grouped together in five regional divisions, headed by a Commissioner. A superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues. The police administration in Guwahati City is headed by the Commissioner of Police, which started functioning from 1 January 2015.
Districts[change | change source]
The areas and populations of the 33 districts are given below:
|Code||District||Headquarter||Population (2011)||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)|
|BS||Biswanath ||Biswanath Chariali ||5,80,000||1,100||530|
|WK||West Karbi Anglong||Hamren|
# - Districts under Bodoland Territorial Council
References[change | change source]
- The Office of Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.
- ISO 3166
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in.
- "CM Tarun Gogoi announces 5 new districts in Assam on Independence Day". Daily News and Analysis. Guwahati. PTI. 15 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Biswanath district inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Charaideo inaugurated as a new dist". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Hojai inaugurated as new district". Voice of Greater Assam. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Majuli to function as new district from today". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "South Salmara-Mankachar dist inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "West Karbi Anglong district East and south kamrup Majuli also added inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Retrieved 11 February 2016.