List of extinct volcanos
Whether a volcano is truly extinct is often difficult to determine. A caldera that has not produced an eruption in tens of thousands of years is likely to be considered inactive.
Select list[change | change source]
Volcanologists sometimes can't tell whether a volcano is extinct or dormant. There are many examples of extinct volcanoes.
- Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain in the northern Pacific Ocean
- Hohentwiel in Germany
- Mount Kulal in Kenya
- Huascarán in Peru
- Kyushu-Palau Ridge in the Philippine Sea
- Mount Buninyong in Australia
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The plural of volcano can be either volcanos or volcanoes. Both are equally correct, and it is not a matter of British vs US spelling. Oxford English Dictionary. Spelling in any particular Simple page tries to be consistent.
- Ball, Jessica. "Voices: Dead or alive ... or neither? Why a dormant volcano is not a dead one," Earth Magazine (American Geosciences Institute). September 8, 2010; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, "Life-cycle of Hawaiian hot spot volcanoes"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- University of Edinburgh, "Holyrood Park Geology"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Some volcanologists have described to extinct volcanoes as "inactive", however, the term is now more commonly used for dormant volcanos which were once thought to be extinct.
- Chamberlina, Basil Hall. (1901). A Handbook for Travellers in Japan, p. 170; Shizuoka Guide, "Overview of Mt Fuji; retrieved 2012-6-21.
- Tarduno, John A. "Hotspots Unplugged," Scientific American. January 2009; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- "Geography of Lake Turkana". National Geographic. http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/maps/geography-lake-turkana/?ar_a=1.
- BBC, "On This Day, 11 January 1962: Thousands killed in Peru landslide"; retrieved 2012-6-14.
- Kobayashi, K. "Origin of the Palau and Yap trench-arc systems," Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 157, Issue 7, p. 1306.
- City of Ballarat, "Mt Buninyong Scenic Reserve"; retrieved 2012-6-14.