|Kingdom of Dalriada|
|Map of Dalriada|
|Monarchy started||5th century|
This is a list of monarchs who ruled Dalriada or Dál Riata, most reigns we are unsure of, so some reigns will be represented by their death and next to that a possible reign. All reigns from 726 are most likely true except Alpín I, Eógan and Indrechtach which we do not know the reign of.
Prior to the Battle of Mag Rath[change | change source]
- Loarn (unknown death) (unknown) est.
- Fergus Mór (unknown death) (-501) est. (sometimes 496-499)
- Domangart Réti (unknown death) (501-507) est.
- Comgall (died c. 540) (507-540) est. (possibly 505-540)
- Gabrán (died c. 560) (540-560) est.
- Conall I (died c. 574) (560-574) est.
- Áedan (died c. 606) (574-606) est.
- Eochaid Buide (died c. 629) (606-629) est.
- Connad Cerr (died c. 629, before Eochaid) (-629) est.
- Domnall Brecc (died c. 642) (629-642) est.
- Ferchar (unknown death) (642-unknown) est. (before 654)
After the Battle of Mag Rath[change | change source]
- Dúnchad I (died c. 654) (after 642-654) est.
- Conall Crandomna (died c. 660) (654-660) est.
- Domangart (died c. 660 ?) (660) est.
- Máel Dúin (died c. 689) (660-689) est.
- Domnall Donn (died c. 696) (689-696) est.
- Ferchar Fota (died c. 697) (696-697) est.
- Eochaid I (unknown death) (697?) est.
- Ainbcellach (deposed c. 698)
- Fiannamail (died 700) (698-700) est.
- Béc (died 707) (700-707) est.
- Dúnchad II (died 721) (707-721) est.
- Selbach (abdicated 723) (721-723) est.
- Dúngal (deposed 726) (723-726) est.
- Eochaid II (726-733)
- Muiredach (733-736)
- Alpín I (c. 736-unknown)
- Eógan (unknown-c. before 741)
- Indrechtach (died 741)
Pictish Rule[change | change source]
Dalriada was ruled by possibly Pictish kings from 736-750, no kings are known during this period (after 741). There is also a possibility that it was a puppet state of Pictland ruled by some Pictish lords.
After the 740s[change | change source]
- Áed Find (before 768-778)
- Fergus (778-781) (the second)
- Eochaid III (after 781)
- Donncoirce (died 792)
- Caustantín (king of the Picts from 792-820)
Unknown Rules[change | change source]
No-one knows the kings who rules Dalriada from the year 792-805 although Causatantín could have ruled during this time when he was king of the Picts.
After 805[change | change source]
The Unknown Period[change | change source]
- Óengus (c. 820-834) - king of the Picts
- Alpín II (834???) - king of the Picts and Dalriada
- Cináed (834-858) - king of the Picts (later Dalriada) - disputed
- Áed (c. 835-839)
- Eóganán (837-839) - king of the Picts
- Alpín II (834???)
- Cináéd (as king of Dalriada) (843-858) - disputed
References[change | change source]
- "ScottishHistory.com". www.scottishhistory.com. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- "Dalriadic Scots (500-846 AD) - DBA 61a". www.fanaticus.org. Archived from the original on 2017-08-03. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- "magoo.com: Scots Kings—Including Kings of Dal Riada who Reigned from Ireland by Hugh McGough". magoo.com. Retrieved 2017-06-03.