List of water sports
There are a large number of sports that involve water. The following is a List of water sports, divided by category. This list is not complete. Some of the sports include only one part related to swimming, as for example Triathlon.
In the water[change | change source]
- Triathlon - Usually a combination of swimming, cycling and running
- Modern pentathlon includes épée fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, a show jumping course on horseback, and a cross-country run.
- Rescue swimming - Swimming with the goal to rescue other swimmers or the practice thereof.
- Surf lifesaving - A competitive sport which evolved from the training activities of lifeguards at Australian surf beaches.
- Water polo - A team ball sport played in water.
- Synchronized swimming - A hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and ballet.
- Fin swimming - Swimming with fins
- Water aerobics - Aerobics in the water
- Water gymnastics - Gymnastics in the water
- Snorkeling - The practice of swimming at the surface (typically of the sea) with a mask and a short tube called a snorkel.
- Diving off springboards or off platforms
- A water slide - A slide with water flowing down it
Underwater water[change | change source]
- Scuba diving - Swimming under water using a (self contained) breathing apparatus
- Free-diving - The aim to maximize the depth dived using no breathing apparatus
- Apnea - The practice of not breathing for extended times.
- Underwater rugby - Rugby played under water with a ball that has been rendered neutrally buoyant. Surfacing to breathe is only allowed without the ball.
- Underwater hockey - Hockey played under water with short wooden curved sticks and a heavy puck. Players wear diving masks, snorkels, and fins, and must surface to breathe while team mates continue the game on the pool bottom.
Near the water[change | change source]
- Boating - The use of boats
- Bodyboarding - Similar to surfing, but the board is smaller and the person lies down on the board
- Canoe Polo - Polo using a canoe
- Dragon Boat Racing - A team paddling sport on water
- Fishing - The recreation and sport of catching fish
- Hydroplane racing
- Jet sprint boat racing
- Kite surfing on flat water using a kite for propulsion
- Motor boating
- Offshore powerboat racing
- Parasailing - A person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a parachute
- Rowing - Propels a boat by means of oars
- Sailing using the wind for propulsion
- Surfing downhill on waves
- Wakeboarding - Similar to water skiing, but using only one board attached to the feet
- Wake skating - Similar to wakeboarding, but the board is NOT attached to the feet
- Water skiing - Using skis to slide over the water while being pulled by a boat or other device
- Wind surfing on flat water using wind for propulsion in combination with sails