Louis Zamperini in May 2014.
Louis Silvie Zamperini
January 26, 1917
|Died||July 2, 2014 (aged 97)|
|Cause of death||Pneumonia|
|Other names||Louie Zamperini|
|Occupation||Track and field athlete|
(m. 1946–2001; her death)
|Children||2 (Luke and Cynthia)|
Biography[change | change source]
Zamperini was a long distance runner at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany. During World War II, Zamperini was a soldier on a bomber airplane in the Pacific War. After the plane crashed, he and his crew survived 47 days in a lifeboat in shark infested water before being captured by the Japanese army. After the war, he became a motivational speaker.
In 2010, Laura Hillenbrand published Zamperini's biography Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, which became a bestseller. In 2014, actress Angelina Jolie directed the movie Unbroken, based on the biography. The movie was released on December 25, 2014.
Personal life[change | change source]
Zamperini was born in Olean, New York to Italian immigrant parents. He and his family moved to Torrance, California at a young age. He did not speak English until school and was bullied because of this. He was married to Cynthia Applewhite from 1946 until her death in 2001. They had two children, Luke and Cynthia.
References[change | change source]
- "Louis Zamperini, war hero, Olympian and inspiration for Angelina Jolie, dies at 97". The Sydney Morning Herald. July 4, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Rocha, Veronica (May 9, 2014). "Olympian-turned-war-hero Louis Zamperini is Rose Parade grand marshal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Wells, Jason (July 3, 2014). "Louis Zamperini, war hero chosen to lead 2015 Rose Parade, dies at 97". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Olympian Louis Zamperini dies at 97". ESPN. July 3, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Emery, Debbie (July 3, 2014). "WWII Hero, 'Unbroken' Subject Louis Zamperini Dies at 97". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis Zamperini.|