Louise Michel Battalions
Two battalions (made up of volunteer troops) of French-speaking people in the International Brigades of the Spanish Civil War against fascism, were named after Louise Michel, a heroine of the 1871 Paris Commune.
- The first battalion was an existing group of volunteers (see Centuria) who had been operating in Barcelona. This joined with battalions being formed for the XI International Brigade.
- The second was a group of Albacete from French-speaking volunteers. At the end of January 1938, it was put into the Henri Vuilleman Battalion of the XIV International Brigade.
Sources and notes[change | change source]
- Hugh Thomas, The Spanish Civil War, 4th Rev. Ed. 2001.
- Antony Beevor, The Battle for Spain, 2006.
- (Spanish) Order of Battle website
- (Spanish) Associació Catalana Website