Luke Daniel Somers
|Died||December 6, 2014 (aged 33)|
|Nationality||United Kingdom/United States|
|Alma mater||Beloit College (2008)|
Luke Daniel Somers (1981 – 6 December 2014) was a British-American photojournalist. He was held hostage by the militant Islamist group al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in Yemen until they killed him. He was a dual citizen of the United Kingdom and the United States.
Somers was born in London. He graduated from Beloit College in Wisconsin with a Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing and later traveled to Egypt before settling in Yemen.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Al-Qaida threatens to kill U.S. photojournalist, UPI.com; accessed December 6, 2014.
- ↑ Hostages Luke Somers and Pierre Korkie killed during rescue attempt in Yemen, cbc.ca; accessed December 7, 2014.
- ↑ Beloit College grad threatened by Yemen's al-Qaida in new video Archived 2014-12-05 at Archive.today, Wsj.com; accessed December 6, 2014.
- ↑ UK Birth Registers, Westminster, vol 15, p. 2279
- ↑ Al-Qaeda in Yemen threatens to kill British-born hostage, thetimes.co.uk; accessed December 7, 2014.
- ↑ Staff, Associated Press. "Luke Somers, American Killed In Yemen, Had 'Wanderlust'". HuffingtonPost.