Macbeth, King of Scotland
This article needs to be wikified. (May 2017)
|Macbeth or MacBeth|
|King of Scots|
|Reign||August 17th 1040 - August 17th 1057|
|Died||17 August 1057|
|Spouse||Gruoch or Lady MacBeth (as depicted by Shakespeare)|
|Issue||Ferchar Og, prince of Scots (possibly)|
|Mother||Donalda, daughter of Malcolm II|
Macbeth (Mac Bethad mac Findlaích in Gaelic) was King of Scotland from 1040-1057. William Shakespeare wrote a famous play about him called Macbeth. In the play, Macbeth is an evil king who murders his cousin so he can become king.
Birth[change | change source]
Macbeth was born around 1005 in Morayshire, Scotland. His name in Gaelic was "Mac Bethad mac Findlaích" (in modern Gaelic, it is MacBheatha mac Fhionnlaigh), meaning "son of life". His father was Findláech mac Ruaidrí, Mormaer of Moray. When Macbeth was born, he became Mormaer of Moray. Macbeth's mother, Donada, may have been Malcolm II's second daughter.
Marriage[change | change source]
Children[change | change source]
King of Scots[change | change source]
On 14 August 1040, Macbeth murdered his cousin King Duncan I in battle and was crowned King of Scotland. His reign continued until 15 August 1050, when he was murdered in another battle. Macbeth's stepson Lulach became king in his place.
Burial[change | change source]
Macbeth's burial most likely took place soon after his death. He was buried in Iona, Scotland. This is a place where many kings have been buried, starting with the mythical first King of Scots, Kenneth MacAlpin.
Media[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Johnson, Ben. "Duncan and MacBeth". Historic UK: The History and Heritage Accommodation Guide. Historic UK 2017.
- "Macbeth (c. 1005 – 1057)". History: Historic Figures. BBC.
- Shakespeare, William (July 1, 2003). Macbeth. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0743477103.
- "Macbeth of Scotland". New World Encyclopedia. August 25, 2014.
- "Gruoch (fl. 1020 – 1054)". Women in World History: A Biographical Encyclopedia. Gale Research, Inc. 2002. ISBN 978-0787637361.
- "The House of Moray: Lulach 'The Simple,' 1057–1058". Scottish Monarchs. 2004.
- "Macbeth | king of Scots | Britannica". www.britannica.com. Retrieved 2022-04-13.