MADURAI district is one of the 32 districts in Tamil Nadu, South India. Madurai district is the second largest district by population. Madurai is the headquarters of this district. It is an important place for making movies.
Population[change | change source]
According to 2011 census of India, Madurai district had a population of 3,038,252. The population was 2,578,201 in the 2001 census. This is a growth rate of 17.95%. The district had a sex-ratio of 990 females for every 1,000 males. This is up from 978 in 2001, and much above the national average of 929.
Administrative divisions in Madurai district[change | change source]
- Madurai West
- Madurai East
Tourist attractions in the district[change | change source]
- Madurai Meenakshi Amman temple
- Thiruvathavur Thirumarainathar Temple
- Alagar Koyil
- Thirupparankundram Murugan Temple
- Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal
- 1000 pillar hall
- Kazimar Big Mosque
- Gandhi Memorial Museum
- Vandiyur Mariamman Temple
References[change | change source]
- Madurai (Approved) at GEOnet Names Server, United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census of India 2001: Basic data Sheet: Madurai District, Tamil Nadu" (PDF). The Registrar General and Census Commissioner.
- "Map: Madurai District Blocks". Madurai District. Archived from the original on 2018-07-09. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Madurai, Tamil Nadu". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 13 November 2011. Retrieved 3 December 2016.