|Born||March 12, 1923|
Sand Springs, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Died||January 14, 2014 (aged 90)|
Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Mae Young|
Miss Mae Young
The Great Mae Young
|Debut||August 20, 1939|
Johnnie Mae Young (March 12, 1923 – January 14, 2014) is an American female professional wrestler and is also a WWE Ambassador. She is probably best known for wrestling for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) and World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment (WWF/E). She helped increase the popularity of women wrestling during World War II and has trained many wrestlers.
She is the only professional wrestler to compete in documented matches in nine different decades, having her first match in 1939 and her last match in 2010.
On December 30th, 2013, she was hospitalized with an undisclosed illness and was placed on life support. On January 9th, 2014, she was taken off life support and was placed under hospice care at home.
Championships[change | change source]
- Championship Wrestling from Florida
- NWA Florida Women's Championship (one time)
- National Wrestling Alliance
- World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment
- Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame
- Class of 2004
References[change | change source]
- "Mae Young Bio". WWE. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "WWE Hall Of Famer Mae Young Taken Off Life Support Earlier Tonight". Wrestling Inc. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "NWA Florida Women's Title". Wrestling-Titles.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "NWA United States Women's Title". Wrestling-Titles.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "National Wrestling Alliance World Women's Tag Team Title". Wrestling-Titles.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "HOFer Mae Young vows to keep wrestling". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "Royal Rumble 2000: Full Event Results". WWE. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Raw: 2010 Knucklehead Moment of the Year Slammy Award Presentation". WWE. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame: Mae Young". Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2014-01-09.