Magdalena Abakanowicz (June 20, 1930 – April 20, 2017) was a Polish sculptor and fiber artist. She was known for her use of textiles as a sculptural medium. She was a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Poznań, Poland from 1965 to 1990 and a visiting professor at University of California, Los Angeles in 1984. She was born in Falenty, Poland.
Abakanowicz died on April 20, 2017 in Warsaw at the age of 86.
References[change | change source]
- Kitowska-Lysiak, Malgorzata, Magdalena Abakanowicz, Visual Arts Profile, Polish Culture, Art History Institute of the Catholic University of Lublin, 2004
Other websites[change | change source]
- Magdalena Abakanowicz's 'Abakans.' (fiber sculptures), Art Journal
- Magdalena Abakanowicz, artnet
- The Jackboot Has Lifted. Now the Crowds Crush, By Rita Reif, The New York Times, June 3, 2001
- (French) Magdalena Abakanowicz