(Redirected from Malaya (disambiguation))Jump to navigation Jump to search
Malaya is both a name and word that has different meanings in different places.
Malaysia & Singapore[change | change source]
In the history of Malaysia and Singapore, "Malaya" (Malay: Tanah Melayu) can refer to:
- British Malaya, (18th century-1946) a loose collection of British controlled states in the Malay Peninsula, including Singapore
- The Malayan Union, (1946-1948) a post-war British colony consisting of all states in British Malaya, excluding Singapore
- The Federation of Malaya (Persekutuan Tanah Melayu) (1948-1963), the successor of the Malayan Union (also excluding Singapore) which gained independence within the Commonwealth of Nations in 1957
- present-day Peninsular Malaysia, the states and territories formerly comprising the Federation of Malaya (1963-present), now also known formally as the States of Malaya (Negeri-negeri Tanah Melayu)
Other uses[change | change source]
- Malaya (movie), a 1949 American film set in Japanese occupied Malaya
- In the Shambhala tradition, the name of a "National Forest" or sacred garden, comparable to the Garden of Eden.
- Oxana Malaya (born 1983), a feral child that lived most of her life in the company of dogs, picking a number of their habits.
- Malay Archipelago, for the macroregion
Related pages[change | change source]
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Malaya.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.