Marbella is a city and municipality in southern Spain, belonging to the province of Málaga in the autonomous community of Andalusia. It is part of the Costa del Sol and is the headquarters of the Association of Municipalities of the region; it is also the head of the judicial district that bears its name.
Background[change | change source]
Marbella is near the Mediterranean Sea, between Málaga and the Strait of Gibraltar, in the foothills of the Sierra Blanca. The municipality covers an area of 117 square kilometres (45 sq mi) crossed by highways on the coast, which are its main entrances.
In 2012 the population of the city was 140,473 inhabitants, making it the second most populous city in the province of Málaga and the eighth in Andalusia. It is one of the most important tourist cities of the Costa del Sol and throughout most of the year is an international tourist attraction, due mainly to its climate and tourist infrastructure.
Historical value[change | change source]
The city also has a significant archaeological heritage, several museums and performance spaces, and a cultural calendar with events ranging from reggae concerts to opera performances.
References[change | change source]
- La población andaluza. Instituto de Estadística y Cartografía de Andalucía. 2011. https://books.google.com/books?id=muCvMwEACAAJ. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Archaeology Marbella". PGB España. Archived from the original on 29 June 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120629094011/http://www.pgb.es/marbella/html/iarqueologia.htm. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Marbella Museums and Art Galleries". World Guides. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130128051029/http://www.marbella.world-guides.com/marbella_museums.html. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "An up-and-coming cultural quarter for Marbella?". Déjà Vu Marbella. 19 November 2012. http://www.dejavumarbellavintage.com/an-up-and-coming-cultural-quarter-for-marbella/. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Costa del Sol Concerts for Summer 2012". i-Marbella.com. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120711200910/http://i-marbella.com/News/news/Costa-del-Sol-Events/marbella/costa-del-sol-concerts-for-summer-2012. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Marbella events and activities". Marbella Family Fun. Archived from the original on 29 January 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130129155934/http://www.marbellafamilyfun.com/marbella-events.html. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Reggaeville: World of Reggae in One Village". Reggaeville. http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist-details/artist/third-world/dt/third-world-7122009/ac/date/mode/archiv.html.
- "Marbella Opera Festival & Other August Events". Enforex Spanish Language School. Archived from the original on 8 August 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090808172056/http://www.enforex-marbella.com/marbella-opera.html. Retrieved 13 April 2013.