Mariana Victoria of Spain
|Mariana Victoria of Spain|
Mariana Victoria; Miguel António do Amaral
|Queen of Portugal|
|Tenure||31 July 1750 – 24 February 1777|
|Born||31 March 1718|
Royal Alcazar of Madrid, Spain
|Died||15 January 1781 (aged 62)|
Barraca Real of Ajuda, Portugal
|Burial||17 January 1781|
Royal Pantheon of the House of Braganza, Monastery of São Vicente de Fora
|Spouse||Joseph I of Portugal|
|Issue||Maria I, Queen of Portugal|
Infanta Mariana Francisca
Benedita, Princess of Brazil
|House||House of Braganza|
House of Bourbon
|Father||Philip V of Spain|
Mariana Victoria of Spain (31 March 1718 – 15 January 1781) sometimes Maria Anna Victoria was an Infanta of Spain by birth and was later the Queen of Portugal as wife of King Joseph I. The eldest daughter of Philip V of Spain and Elisabeth Farnese. Under the influence of the Duke of Bourbon she was engaged to the young Louis XV of France at the age of seven. Rejected due to her age, the marriage never took place and she was sent back to Spain. In 1729 she was married to the son of John V of Portugal. Her husband became the King on 31 July 1750. The mother of Maria I of Portugal she also acted as regent of Portugal during the last months of her husbands life and acted as advisor to her daughter in her reign.
Life in France[change | change source]
Under the influence of the Duke of Bourbon she was engaged to the young King Louis XV of France at the age of seven when she moved to the Palace of Versailles and was placed in the care of the Dowager Princess of Conti. Eventually due to her age she was unable to have children and was sent back to Spain in 1729. This caused a rift between the royal courts of Spain and France.
Issue[change | change source]
- Maria I of Portugal (17 December 1734 – 20 March 1816) married Infante Pedro of Portugal and had issue. Later queen of Portugal.
- Mariana Francisca of Portugal (7 October 1736 – 6 May 1813) died unmarried.
- Doroteia of Portugal (21 September 1739 – 14 January 1771) died unmarried.
- Benedita of Portugal (25 July 1746 – 18 August 1829) married Infante Joseph, Prince of Beira, no issue.
Titles and styles[change | change source]
- 31 March 1718 – 19 January 1729: Her Royal Highness The Infanta Dona Mariana Victoria of Spain
- 19 January 1729 – 31 July 1750: Her Royal Highness the Princess of Brazil, Duchess of Braganza
- 31 July 1750 – 29 November 1776: Her Most Faithful Majesty the Queen of Portugal and the Algarves
- 29 November 1776 – 24 February 1777: Her Most Faithful Majesty the Queen Regent of Portugal and the Algarves
- 24 February 1777 – 15 January 1781: Her Most Faithful Majesty the Queen Mother of Portugal and the Algarves
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Mariana Victoria of Spain at Wikimedia Commons