|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Florida's 1st district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Jeff Miller|
|Member of the Florida House of Representatives|
from the 4th district
April 13, 2010 – November 22, 2016
|Preceded by||Ray Sansom|
|Succeeded by||Mel Ponder|
Matthew Louis Gaetz II
May 7, 1982
Hollywood, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Florida State University (BS)|
College of William and Mary (JD)
Matthew Louis Gaetz II (//; born May 7, 1982) is an American lawyer and politician. He is the U.S. representative for Florida's 1st congressional district since 2017. He is a member of the Republican Party. He is known as a strict Trump supporter.
In March 2021, Gaetz was being investigated for having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl in 2019, and that investigators were examining whether he had violated federal sex trafficking laws by allegedly paying her to travel with him.
References[change | change source]
- "Full Name: Matthew Louis Gaetz II". Voterrecords.com. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "Trump's Best Buddy in Congress Wants Sessions to Fire Mueller". Politico. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Schmidt, Michael S.; Benner, Katie; Fandos, Nicholas (2021-03-30). "Matt Gaetz Is Said to Face Justice Dept. Inquiry Over Sex With an Underage Girl". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-03-31.
- Swan, Jonathan (March 30, 2021). "Matt Gaetz says he's under federal investigation for sexual misconduct". Axios. Retrieved March 30, 2021.
- Treene, Alayna. "Rep. Matt Gaetz eyes early retirement from Congress to take job at Newsmax". Axios. Retrieved 2021-03-30.