McCook County, South Dakota
McCook County Courthouse
Location within the U.S. state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location within the U.S.
|Named for||Edwin Stanton McCook|
|• Total||577 sq mi (1,490 km2)|
|• Land||574 sq mi (1,490 km2)|
|• Water||2.7 sq mi (7 km2) 0.5%%|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||9.8/sq mi (3.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
McCook County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, 5,618 people lived there. Its county seat is Salem. It was created in 1873. It was named for the former governor of the Dakota Territory and Civil War general Edwin Stanton McCook.
Communities[change | change source]
Cities[change | change source]
Unincorporated community[change | change source]
Townships[change | change source]
The county is divided into sixteen townships:
- Spring Valley
- Sun Prairie
Other places[change | change source]
- Laurent - (proposed / abandoned housing development)
References[change | change source]
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-07. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Dakota Territory, South Dakota, and North Dakota: Individual County Chronologies". Dakota Territory Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. 2006. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 997. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Chicago and North Western Railway Company (1908). A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago & North Western and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railways. p. 162.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to McCook County, South Dakota.|