(Redirected from Metropolitan Police Service)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Metropolitan Police Service|
Metropolitan Police Force
|Common name||The Met|
|Flag of the Metropolitan Police Service.|
|Motto||Working together for a safer London|
|Mission statement||Making London safe for all the people we serve|
|Formed||1829, 29 September |
|Volunteers||797 (and 2,988 special constables)|
|Legal personality||Governmental agency|
|Police area of Metropolitan Police District in the country of England , UK|
|Map of police area|
|Size||1,578 km2 (609 sq mi)|
|Legal jurisdiction||England & Wales (Northern Ireland and Scotland in limited circumstances)|
|Governing body||Metropolitan Police Authority|
|Overviewed by||Independent Police Complaints Commission/Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary|
|Headquarters||New Scotland Yard|
|Police Constables||36,246 (of which 2,988 are special constables)|
|Police Community Support Officers||4,521|
|Agency executive||Cressida Dick CBE QPM, Commissioner|
It covers all of London boroughs, except the City of London. It is the largest of the 52 police forces in the United Kingdom. In 2009, it had about 30000 police officers, more than three times the size of the next largest force.
References[change | change source]
- "Metropolitan Police Service – Homepage". Met.police.uk. 2009-04-02. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Contacts: MPS". MPA. Archived from the original on 2012-01-14. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "SWG Police Websites : Metropolitan Police Mission Statement". Padpolice.com. Archived from the original on 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Metropolitan Police Service – History of the Metropolitan Police Service". Met.police.uk. Archived from the original on 2008-12-03. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "The Bow street runners – Victorian Policeman by Simon Dell OBE QCB – Devon & Cornwall Constabulary". Devon-cornwall.police.uk. Archived from the original on 11 January 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Policing the Port of London – Crime and punishment". Port Cities. Archived from the original on 2008-12-06. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Police officer, staff and PCSO numbers | MPA". MPA. Archived from the original on 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Working as a Volunteer – Metropolitan Police Service". Cms.met.police.uk. 1970-01-01. Archived from the original on 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Met Police budget settlement to put more police on beat in London". Personneltoday.com. 2008-02-14. Archived from the original on 2008-04-26. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- Last Updated: 7:47AM GMT 1 Dec 2008 (2008-12-01). "Sir Paul Stephenson profile". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-05-06.