Michael "Mikis" Theodorakis (Greek: Μιχαήλ (Μίκης) Θεοδωράκης [ˈmicis θeoðoˈɾacis]; 29 July 1925 – 2 September 2021) was a Greek songwriter and composer. He wrote over 1000 songs. He was born in Chios, Greece. His career began in 1943. He was known for composing the movie scores for Zorba the Greek (1964), Z (1969), and Serpico (1973). He is known as Greece's best-known composer. He was awarded the Lenin Peace Prize.
References[change | change source]
- John Chrysochoos, Ph.d. (17 November 2010). Ikaria - Paradise in Peril. Dorrance Publishing. p. 24. ISBN 978-1-4349-8240-7. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
Theodorakis the internationally renowned Greek composer
- Maura Ellyn; Maura McGinnis (1 August 2004). Greece: A Primary Source Cultural Guide. The Rosen Publishing Group. p. 86. ISBN 978-0-8239-3999-2. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
Considered Greece's greatest living composer, Theodorakis has written many scores.
- Athensnews Interview: Theodorakis' call to arms Famous composer Theodorakis addresses protesters during a rally against a new austerity package, outside the University of Athens, in 2011 Archived 3 July 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Mike Gerrard (3 March 2009). National Geographic Traveler: Greece, 3rd Edition. National Geographic Society. pp. 47–. ISBN 978-1-4262-0396-1. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
The most famous Greek musician of contemporary times is undoubtedly Mikis Theodorakis (born 1925), best known for
- Embassy of Greece International conference honors renowned composer Mikis Theodorakis' 80th birthday An international conference dedicated to the work of famous music composer Mikis Theodorakis in honor of his 80th birthday, kicked off on Friday in Hania, Crete. Archived 5 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- Dimitris Keridis (28 July 2009). Historical Dictionary of Modern Greece. Scarecrow Press. pp. 150–. ISBN 978-0-8108-5998-2. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Yearbook of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (in Russian). Moscow: Sovetskaya Enciklopediya. 1983
- "Zorba composer Mikis Theodorakis in hospital with 'heart problem'". France24. March 7, 2019.
- "Famed Greek Composer Theodorakis, Now Anti-SYRIZA, Hospitalized". The National Herald. March 10, 2019.
- "Mikis Theodorakis, composer of Zorba the Greek, dies aged 96". BBC News. 2 September 2021. Retrieved 2 September 2021.