Miracle on Ice
The "Miracle on Ice" was a medal-round game during the men's ice hockey tournament at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. It played between the hosting United States and the four-time defending gold medalists, the Soviet Union.
For the first game in the medal round, the United States played the Soviets. Finishing the first period tied at 2–2, and the Soviets leading 3–2 following the second, the U.S. team scored two more goals to take their first lead midway in the third and final period, then held on and won 4–3. Two days later, the U.S. won the gold medal by beating Finland in their final game. The Soviet Union took the silver medal by beating Sweden.
References[change | change source]
- "Americans stun Czechs in Olympic ice hockey". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). Associated Press. February 15, 1980. p. 1C.
- "U.S. pucksters upset Czechs, boost medal odds". The Bulletin. (Bend, Oregon). UPI. February 15, 1980. p. 10.
- "Americans surprise Soviets, 4-3". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). Associated Press. February 23, 1980. p. 4B.
- Shalin, Michael (February 23, 1980). "U.S. ices spot in hockey history". The Bulletin. (Bend, Oregon). UPI. p. 15.
- "U.S. defeats Finland, clinches hockey gold". Wilmington Morning Star. (North Carolina). Associated Press. February 25, 1980. p. 5B.
- Richman, Milt (February 25, 1980). "U.S. win was ultimate upset". The Bulletin. (Bend, Oregon). UPI. p. 9.
- "The 20th Century Awards: Sports Illustrated honors world's greatest athletes". Sports Illustrated. December 3, 1999. Retrieved June 11, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)