Mirande Town Hall
|Intercommunality||Cœur d'Astarac en Gascogne|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Pierre Beaudran|
|23.42 km2 (9.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Elevation||139–268 m (456–879 ft) |
(avg. 170 m or 560 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Mirande (Occitan: Miranda) is a commune in the Gers department, of which it is a subprefecture, in the Occitanie region, southwestern France. It is the administrative center of the arrondissement of Mirande and of the canton of Mirande-Astarac.
History[change | change source]
Mirande was founded in 1281 near the village of Saint-Jean de Lezian by the abbot Berdoues and by Bernhard IV, Count of Astarac. The town was built as a bastide (a fortified town). Miranda became, in 1297, the capital of the County of Astarac.
Mirande was surrounded by a wall with four city gates; the wall was destroyed during the 19th century.
Since 17 February 1800, Mirande is the capital of the arrondissement of Mirande.
Geography[change | change source]
Mirande is surrounded by the following communes, all of them part of the arrondissement of Mirande: Estipouy and Mouchès to the north, Miramont-d'Astarac to the northeast, Idrac-Respaillès to the east, Saint-Médard to the southeast, Berdoues to the south, Saint-Martin and Monclar-sur-Losse to the west and Montesquiou to the northwest.
Climate[change | change source]
Population[change | change source]
Evolution of the population in Mirande
Gallery[change | change source]
Sister cities[change | change source]
Mirande is twinned with:
- Korntal-Münchingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- L'Eliana, Valencia, Spain
- San Mauro Torinese, Piedmont, Italy
- Tubize, Walloon Brabant, Belgium
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "The foundation of Mirande". Mirande, Office of Tourism. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Mirande". Map-France.com. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "Ville de Mirande". Annuaire-Mairie.fr (in French). Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Mirande (32300)" (in French). habitants.fr. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (PDF). Populations légales 2014 (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Mirande est jumelée avec ..." Ville de Mirande. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mirande.|