|Born||5 March 1898|
|Died||1 April 2015 |
(117 years, 27 days)
|Cause of death||Heart failure|
|Spouse(s)||Yukio (m. 1919–1931)|
|Children||3 (2 living)|
Misao Okawa (大川 ミサヲ, Ōkawa Misao, sometimes romanized as Misawo Okawa, 5 March 1898 – 1 April 2015) was a Japanese supercentenarian who was the world's oldest living person since the death of 116-year-old Japanese man Jiroemon Kimura on 12 June 2013 until her own death on 1 April 2015. She was the world's oldest living woman since the death of 115-year-old Japanese woman Koto Okubo on 12 January 2013 until 1 April 2015. She was the oldest verified Japanese and Asian person ever, until being exceed the record by Nabi Tajima in 2017.
Biography[change | change source]
Okawa was born on 5 March 1898, in the Tenma district (present-day Kita-ku) of Osaka, and in her latter years lived at a nursing home in Higashisumiyoshi-ku, Osaka. She married Yukio in 1919, and had three children, two of whom were still alive at the time of her death. She also had four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Longevity[change | change source]
On 27 February 2013, a few days before her 115th birthday, Misao Okawa was officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the oldest living woman in the world, and was presented with a certificate at her nursing home in Osaka.
References[change | change source]
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- "Misao Okawa, Oldest Known Person in World, Dies at 117". NBC News. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Jiroemon Kimura, Oldest Man in Record History dies at age 116 ay Business Week.com
- Ryall, Julian (14 January 2013). "Oldest woman in the world dies". The Telegraph. Tokyo: Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "大阪の１１４歳、女性世界最高齢か ギネス認定へ審査中" [114-year-old from Osaka to be verified as world's oldest woman]. Apital (in Japanese). Japan: The Asahi Shimbun Company. 23 February 2013. Archived from the original on 7 May 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Misao Okawa, World's Oldest Person, Dead at 117". The Huffington Post. 1 April 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Japan names world's oldest woman". USA Today. 27 February 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
| Oldest recognized living person
12 June 2013 – 1 April 2015