|Native name||大川 ミサヲ|
|Born||March 5, 1898
|Died||April 1, 2015
(117 years, 27 days)
|Cause of death||Heart failure|
|Spouse(s)||Yukio (m. 1919–1931)|
|Children||3 (2 living)|
Misao Okawa (大川 ミサヲ Ōkawa Misao, sometimes romanized as Misawo Okawa, March 5, 1898 – April 1, 2015) was a Japanese supercentenarian who was the world's oldest living person since the death of 116-year-old Japanese man Jiroemon Kimura on June 12, 2013 until her own death on April 1, 2015. She was the world's oldest living woman since the death of 115-year-old Japanese woman Koto Okubo on January 12, 2013 until April 1, 2015. She was the oldest verified Japanese and Asian person ever, until being exceed the record by Nabi Tajima in 2017.
Biography[change | change source]
Okawa was born on March 5, 1898, in the Tenma district (present-day Kita-ku) of Osaka, and in her latter years lived at a nursing home in Higashisumiyoshi-ku, Osaka. She married Yukio in 1919, and had three children, two of whom were still alive at the time of her death. She also had four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Longevity[change | change source]
On February 27, 2013, a few days before her 115th birthday, Misao Okawa was officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the oldest living woman in the world, and was presented with a certificate at her nursing home in Osaka.
References[change | change source]
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved December 12, 2012.
- "Misao Okawa, Oldest Known Person in World, Dies at 117". NBC News. April 1, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Jiroemon Kimura, Oldest Man in Record History dies at age 116 ay Business Week.com
- Ryall, Julian (January 14, 2013). "Oldest woman in the world dies". The Telegraph. Tokyo: Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "大阪の１１４歳、女性世界最高齢か ギネス認定へ審査中" [114-year-old from Osaka to be verified as world's oldest woman]. Apital (in Japanese). Japan: The Asahi Shimbun Company. February 23, 2013. Retrieved February 24 2013. Check date values in:
- "Misao Okawa, World's Oldest Person, Dead at 117". The Huffington Post. April 1, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "Japan names world's oldest woman". USA Today. February 27, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
|Oldest recognized living person
June 12, 2013 – April 1, 2015