|Native name||大川 ミサヲ|
|Born||March 5, 1898
|Died||April 1, 2015
(117 years, 27 days)
|Cause of death||Heart failure|
|Spouse(s)||Yukio (m. 1919–1931)|
|Children||3 (2 living)|
Misao Okawa (大川 ミサヲ Ōkawa Misao , sometimes romanized as Misawo Okawa, March 5, 1898 – April 1, 2015) was a Japanese supercentenarian who was the world's oldest living person since the death of 116-year-old Japanese man Jiroemon Kimura on June 12, 2013 until her own death on April 1, 2015. She was the world's oldest living woman since the death of 115-year-old Japanese woman Koto Okubo on January 12, 2013 until April 1, 2015. She is the oldest verified Japanese and Asian person ever.
Biography[change | change source]
Okawa was born on March 5, 1898, in the Tenma district (present-day Kita-ku) of Osaka, and in her latter years lived at a nursing home in Higashisumiyoshi-ku, Osaka. She married Yukio in 1919, and had three children, two of whom were still alive at the time of her death. She also had four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Longevity[change | change source]
On February 27, 2013, a few days before her 115th birthday, Misao Okawa was officially recognized by Guinness World Records as the oldest living woman in the world, and was presented with a certificate at her nursing home in Osaka.
References[change | change source]
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. http://www.grg.org/Adams/E.HTM. Retrieved December 12, 2012.
- "Misao Okawa, Oldest Known Person in World, Dies at 117". NBC News. April 1, 2015. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/misao-okawa-oldest-person-world-dies-117-n333706. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Jiroemon Kimura, Oldest Man in Record History dies at age 116 ay Business Week.com
- Ryall, Julian (January 14, 2013). "Oldest woman in the world dies". The Telegraph. Tokyo: Telegraph Media Group Limited. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9799574/Oldest-woman-in-the-world-dies.html. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "大阪の１１４歳、女性世界最高齢か ギネス認定へ審査中 [114-year-old from Osaka to be verified as world's oldest woman]" (in Japanese). Apital. Japan: The Asahi Shimbun Company. February 23, 2013. http://apital.asahi.com/article/news/2013022300007.html. Retrieved February 24 2013.
- "Misao Okawa, World's Oldest Person, Dead at 117". The Huffington Post. April 1, 2015. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/01/misao-okawa-dead-worlds-oldest-person_n_6982656.html. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "Japan names world's oldest woman". USA Today. February 27, 2013. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/27/japan-worlds-oldest-woman/1950315/. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
|Oldest recognized living person
June 12, 2013 – April 1, 2015