Modesto is the 18th largest city in California, and the 103rd largest city in the United States.
Environment[change | change source]
Notable people[change | change source]
- Jack Angel, voice actor.
- Sonny Barger, Oakland chapter founder of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club.
- Carol Channing, Tony Award-winning actress and singer.
- George Lucas, film director, producer, and screenwriter.
- James Marsters, actor.
- Timothy Olyphant, actor
- Jeremy Renner, actor.
- Royal Robbins, famous rock climber.
- Mark Spitz, Olympic gold medalist.
References[change | change source]
- Historic Spots in California, Third Edition. Stanford University Press. p. 539. ISBN 978-0804740203.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Amelia Franzia Gallo; Wine Maker's Wife, 83". Obituary. The New York Times. December 25, 1993. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
She began working as secretary and janitor in the fledgling Gallo family business shortly after Ernest and Julio Gallo started the E. & J. Gallo Winery in Modesto in 1933. Today, the company is the nation's largest winery, with more than a quarter of the American wine market.
- City of Modesto IT. "City of Modesto – Newsroom – Press Releases". modesto.ca.us. Archived from the original on February 29, 2012.
- "List: Worst Cities For Ozone Pollution". Forbes.
- "Mark Spitz". www.jewishsports.net. Retrieved August 31, 2008.