|Full name||Montreal Impact (English)
Impact de Montréal (French)
|Head Coach||Mauro Biello|
|League||Major League Soccer|
|2016||Eastern Conference: 5th
Playoffs: Conference Final
|Website||Club home page|
The Montreal Impact (French: Impact de Montréal) is a Canadian professional soccer (football) team based in Montreal, Quebec. It has played in the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS) since 2012. The club was created in 2010 as an expansion team and was the third Canadian team to join the MLS. The old Montreal Impact of the North American Soccer League (NASL) was replaced by this team.The team motto (slogan) is "Tous Pour Gagner''. That is French for "All for victory".
The club plays its home games at the Saputo Stadium and is coached by Mauro Biello.
History[change | change source]
The North Star[change | change source]
The North Star is a 5 foot high, 44 inches wide, 1576 lbs. bell used as a goal and victory celebration. It was inaugurated on October 25, 2015 by Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre where it was rung twice in a Montreal Impact victory against Toronto FC.
Rivals[change | change source]
Montreal Impact's biggest rival is Toronto FC because of Canada's two largest cities having shared multiple rivalries. Montreal and Toronto professional soccer teams have competed against each other for over 40 years. From the original North American Soccer League, as well as the Canadian Soccer League and the A-League, the rivalry has continued through many different leagues they have played up until the past few years where both cities would still occasionally meet for the Canadian Championships. Since both teams have joined the MLS, the rivalry is more intense and the matches have become a Canadian soccer classic called the 401 Derby.
Notes[change | change source]
- Club originally founded in 1992. MLS franchise granted in 2010.
References[change | change source]
- "Stade Saputo Expansion". Montreal Impact. March 9, 2011. http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/stadium/stadium-expansion. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Monte Stewart The Canadian Press (March 10, 2012). "Vancouver Whitecaps down Montreal Impact 2-0 in MLS season opener". thestar.com. http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/1144400--vancouver-whitecaps-down-montreal-impact-2-0-in-mls-season-opener. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- "Montreal Impact Goal Ritual: Rituel de But". 1642 MTL. https://1642montreal.myshopify.com/pages/rituel-de-but-goal-ritual. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- Borg, Simon. "Circle your calendars: 2014 MLS Canadian rivalry matches that will be showcased on national TV". http://mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/10/circle-your-calendars-2014-mls-canadian-rivalry-matches-will-be-showcased-na. Retrieved April 25, 2014.