Moradabad (pronunciation (help·info)) is a city, commissionary, and a municipal corporation in Moradabad district of Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It was established in 1625A.D. by Rustam Khan and is named after prince Murad Baksh, the son of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.
Moradabad is situated on the banks of the Ramganga river, at a distance of 167 km (104 mi) from the national capital, New Delhi and 344 km north-west of the state capital Lucknow. The city is known as Pital Nagri, ("Brass City") for its famous brass handicrafts industry. It is also the divisional headquarters of Northern Railway (NR).
Demographics[change | change source]
|Religions in Moradabad city|
|Distribution of religions|
According to the 2011 census Moradabad city has a population of 887,871. The population of Moradabad district was 4,772,006, roughly equal to the nation of Singapore or the US state of Alabama. It is the 2nd Most Populated District in the state of Uttar Pradesh. This gives it a ranking of 26th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,284 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,330/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 25.25%. In 2011 a new district named Sambhal district is formed with two sub districts of Moradabad district. The rest of Moradabad district have a population of 3126507.The Muslim population in rest of Moradabad district is 1588297. Moradabad has a sex ratio of 903 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 58.67%.
References[change | change source]
- Majid Husain. Understanding: Geographical: Map Entries: for Civil Services Examinations: Second Edition. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-07-070288-2. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Northern Railway: Moradabad Division". Moradabadrail.in. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "Moradabad (UP), India | Official Website". Moradabad.nic.in. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "Moradabad Religion Census 2011". Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Moradabad District Religion Data - Census 2011". www.census2011.co.in.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Singapore 4,740,737 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- MINUTES OF THE 34th MEETING OF EMPOWERED COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER AND APPROVE REVISED PLAN FOR BALANCE FUND FOR THE DISTRICTS OF GHAZIABAD, BAREILLY, BARABANKI, SIDDHARTH NAGAR, SHAHJANPUR, MORADABAD, MUZAFFAR NAGAR, BAHRAICH AND LUCKNOW (UTTAR PRADESH) UNDER MULTI-SECTORAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME IN MINORITY CONCENTRATION DISTRICTS HELD ON 22nd JULY, 2010 AT 11.00 A.M. UNDER THE CHAIRMANSHIP OF SECRETARY, MINISTRY OF MINORITY AFFAIRS. F. No. 3/64/2010-PP-I, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA, MINISTRY OF MINORITY AFFAIRS