Mortal Kombat X
|Mortal Kombat X|
High Voltage Software (PC, PS3 & X360)
|Publisher(s)||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3|
April 7, 2015
Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
April 14, 2015
PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
The game was released on April 3, 2015 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows. It will be ported to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Q2/Q3 by High Voltage Software. On April 7, 2015, an iOS version was released.
Development[change | change source]
Like the last game, The energy meter returns to allow the player to use techniques like the brutal X-Ray moves, with some refinements made to their system. Players can also now interact with the environment, like bouncing off areas to reposition themselves or being able to use parts of the environment as weapons. Fighters have three different types of fighting variations. The makers are planing on having a fully-connected online functionality.
There have been four new fighters that have been announced for the game so far: D'Vorah, a woman who controls insects; Ferra/Torr, a pairing consisting of a small girl and a giant masked brute; Cassie Cage, the daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade; and Kotal Kahn, a character that have not been described yet. According to series creator Ed Boon, the game's main villain will be a "surprise returning character."
Reception[change | change source]
Game Informer rated the game a 9.25 out of 10. Brian Shea of Game Informer said that the game was "more than the continuation of NetherRealm’s successful vision for the franchise; it’s one of the best fighting games in years".
The Escapist rated the game 4.5 out of 5 stars. Joshua Vanderwall of The Escapist said that he liked the gameplay and the roster. He called the options "exquisite fighting-game experiences". Vanderwall also said that the story mode was "the best story mode I've ever personally seen in a fighting game".
References[change | change source]
- "Mortal Kombat: Release Data". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2015-4-17. Check date values in:
- "Mortal Kombat X season pass includes Jason Voorhees, game delayed on PS3 and Xbox 360 (update)". Polygon. Retrieved 2015-4-17. Check date values in:
- "Mortal Kombat X is the fastest selling entry in the series to date". VG247. Retrieved 2015-4-17. Check date values in:
- "Here's What You Missed in the Mortal Kombat X Trailer". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "E3 2014: Brutality and Possibility in Mortal Kombat X". IGN. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Ed Boon Talks Surprise Final Boss Of Mortal Kombat X, Ferra Torr Gameplay". Junkie Monkeys. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Mortal Kombat X: A Deadly Alliance Of Old And New". Game Informer. Retrieved 2015-4-17. Check date values in:
- "Mortal Kombat X Review - Your Very Own Kung Fu Flick". The Escapist. Retrieved 2015-4-17. Check date values in: