|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: mount.|
Mount has three main meanings.
Mountain[change | change source]
Mount as a verb[change | change source]
To "mount" something means to put it onto something else.
- An artist mounts his paintings on cardboard. An architect mounts his models on foamcore.
- A camera is mounted on a tripod. A gun is mounted on the deck of a ship.
- A rider mounts a horse. A gymnast mounts the balance beam for a display.
- A male animal mounts a female animal to have sexual intercourse.
Mount as a noun[change | change source]
A "mount" is a thing for mounting something on.
It might be a piece of equipment such as:
- A lens mount for a camera. This is the part of the camera that is made specially so that lenses can be attached.
It might be a piece of stiff flat "backing" such as:
- A mount for a stuffed animal. This is a piece of polished wood that a stuffed animal can be fixed to, for display.
- A picture mount. This is a piece of cardboard which a photograph or other picture is attached to.
It might be an animal:
- "Frederick's mount was a fine black horse, Ernest's mount was a chestnut mare, Clumsy Jack's mount was a skinny old goat."
Mount in computing and software[change | change source]
- Mount (in computing), the process of making a file system accessible
- Mount Unix, the utility in Unix-like operating systems which mounts file systems
- Mount (streaming), a concept used in streaming software programs
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Mount.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.