||The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (February 2013)|
A multivitamin is set of vitamins used often with minerals needed by the human body to function properly. Multivitamins are available as tablets, capsules, pastilles, powders, liquids, and injections. Besides injections, multivitamins are recognized by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (the United Nations' authority on food standards) as a category of food.
Multivitamins are often provided with minerals. A multivitamin/mineral set is approved in the United States as a (supplement) addition to diet containing 3 or more vitamins and minerals that does not include herbs, hormones, or drugs.  The terms multivitamin and multimineral are often used interchangeably. There is no scientific definition for either.
There is scientific evidence that for healthy people, multivitamin do not provide protection from cancer, heart disease or other serious diseases. But for people with very specific health and economical situation (for example poor people that cant afford meat and fruits or people living in poor areas).
References[change | change source]
- Codex Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements Accessed 27 December 2007
- National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Panel. National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference Statement: multivitamin/mineral supplements and chronic disease prevention. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:257S-64S
-  Accessed 21 July 2009
Other websites[change | change source]
- Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Multivitamin/mineral Supplements, from the U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Multivitamin/Mineral Supplements, from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Multivitamins and cancer, from the American Cancer Society
- Comparison of multivitamin potency, bioavailability and safety - Comparison of 100+ Multivitamins
- List of the best multivitamin brands - Ranks the top multivitamins for men according to price, quality, and reviews
- Safe upper levels for vitamins and minerals - Report of the UK Food Standards Agency Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals.