National Basketball League (Australasia)
|Claim to fame||"The pre-eminent men's professional basketball league in the Southern Hemisphere"|
|No. of teams||9|
|Country||Australia (8 teams)|
New Zealand (1 team)
|New Zealand Breakers|
|Most titles||Perth Wildcats (5 titles)|
The National Basketball League is a basketball competition in Australasia. It's current sponsor is Hungry Jack's, so it is also known as the Hungry Jack's NBL Championship. It is the top-level basketball competition in Australasia. The Singapore Slingers once played in this league, meaning it is the first Australasian sporting league ever to have a team from Asia. The league started in 1979, and its most successful time is during the 1980s and 1990s. However, it started to struggle in the 20th century. At the start of the 2004/05 season the league had a deal with Fox Sports of Australia. On September 18, 2007, the National Basketball League had Hummer as their sponsor. one HD started broadcasting in 2010, the first time a game has been on TV for eight years.
Clubs[change | change source]
Current[change | change source]
Defunct[change | change source]
Sponsors[change | change source]
Naming rights[change | change source]
- 1979 to 1987: none
- 1988 to 1991: Hungry Jack's
- 1992 to 2001–02: Mitsubishi
- 2002–03 to 2003–04: none
- 2004–05 to 2006–07: Philips
- 2007–08: Hummer
- 2008–09 to 2009–10: none
- 2010–11 to 2012–13: iiNet
- 2013–14 to 2016–17: none
- 2017–18 to present: Hungry Jack's
Broadcasting[change | change source]
Since 1995, the league has had a broadcasting deal for paid programming with Fox Sports of Australia. For free TV, they were first sponsored by ABC from 1979-1987. Then they were sponsored by Seven Network for three years, and then from Network Ten from 1992-1997. From 1998-2001, they were again sponsored by ABC. The league did not have free TV for almost a decade, until in 2010 when Network Ten HD started broadcasting. This contract ended in 2015. The current broadcasting rights are owned by SBS.
NBLxNBA[change | change source]
NBLxNBA is an annual series involving clubs from the NBL and the National Basketball Association (NBA) of the United States. The series started in 2017 for each league's 2017–18 season, and each season includes between three and seven games. The games have previously always been held in the US and Canada, and are normally held during September and early October.
References[change | change source]
- "NBL lines up a new naming-rights sponsor". The Age. 16 July 2003. Retrieved 16 June 2020. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "NBL signs naming rights sponsor". www.abc.net.au. 2004-09-08. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Howell, Stephen (2007-09-19). "New sponsor gives NBL a rev-up". The Age. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Ward, Roy (2017-10-04). "NBL sign new naming-rights sponsor as season tips off". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2020-06-16.