Next United Kingdom general election
|‹ 2017 • members|
|Next United Kingdom general election|
All 650 seats in the House of Commons[n 1]
|On or before 5 May 2022|
|Leader||Theresa May||Jeremy Corbyn||Nicola Sturgeon|
|Leader since||11 July 2016||12 September 2015||14 November 2014|
|Leader's seat||Maidenhead||Islington North||none[n 2]|
|Last election||317 seats, 42.4%[n 3]||262 seats, 40.0%||35 seats, 3.0%|
|Seats needed||9||64||N/A[n 4]|
|Leader||Vince Cable||Arlene Foster||Gerry Adams|
|Party||Liberal Democrat||Democratic Unionist||Sinn Féin|
|Leader since||20 July 2017||17 December 2015||13 November 1983|
|Leader's seat||Twickenham||none[n 5]||none[n 6]|
|Last election||12 seats, 7.4%||10 seats, 0.9%||7 seats, 0.8%|
|Seats needed||314||N/A[n 7]||N/A[n 7]|
The Next United Kingdom general election is due to take place on the 5 May 2022. It will elect the 58th Parliament of the United Kingdom.
2017 general election[change | change source]
In 2017 the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Theresa May called for an early election. Most of the opinion polls said the Conservative Party would win a big majority. However, the election ended with a hung parliament with the Conservatives losing seats and the Labour Party gaining seats.
Date[change | change source]
The election is not due to take place until 5 May 2022 but because there is a hung parliament some people think the government will be forced to call another election before then if it can't pass any new laws or loses a No Confidence vote.
References[change | change source]
- The Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies is currently due to be implemented in 2018 and would reduce the number of seats to 600.
- Nicola Sturgeon sits as an MSP in the Scottish Parliament.
- Seat figure does not include Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow, who is included in the Conservative seat total by some media outlets.
- Party only stands in Scotland.
- Arlene Foster sits as an MLA in the Northern Ireland Assembly for Fermanagh and South Tyrone.
- Gerry Adams sits as a TD in the Irish Dáil Éireann.
- Party only stands in Northern Ireland.