Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen (born Nicolae Georgescu, 4 February 1906 – 30 October 1994) was a Romanian American mathematician, statistician and economist. He was best known today for his 1971 magnum opus The Entropy Law and the Economic Process. He was a key figure in the creation of ecological economics.
Several economists have hailed Georgescu-Roegen as a man who lived well ahead of his time, and some historians of economic thought have proclaimed the ingenuity of his work.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Bibliography of Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen". Associazione Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen. Retrieved 19 October 2016. (Italian website)
- Antonio Valero (1991). "An interview with Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen" (Location: Nashville, Tennessee). Boletín Cf+S (4). Retrieved 15 August 2016. (Introduction to the interview in Spanish (Castilian), the interview itself in English)
- Sylvia Nasar (1994). "Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen, Leading Economist, Dies at 88". New York Times. Retrieved 15 August 2016. (Obituary)
- Robert Nadeau (2008). "Environmental and ecological economics". The Encyclopedia of Earth. Retrieved 11 February 2017. (A thorough account of the historical development of ecological economics, including Georgescu-Roegen's contribution)
- Rex Weyler (2010). "Deep Green: Entropy and Ecology". Greenpeace International. Retrieved 15 August 2016. (A brief perspective on Georgescu-Roegen's entropy view)
- Lars P. Syll (2012). "Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen and the Nobel Prize in economics". WordPress. Retrieved 23 November 2017. (Blog lamenting the fact that Georgescu-Roegen was never awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics)
- Jonathan Mingle (2015). "Pope Francis would love the obscure theories of this dead Romanian economist". Quartz. Retrieved 15 August 2016. (Article speculating on one possible source of inspiration for the pontiff's controversial encyclical on ecological concerns)
- Martin Sers (2017). "Georgescu-Roegen: The Genius Pessimist and the Philosopher of Process". Economics for the Anthropocene. Retrieved 31 August 2017. (Article shedding some light on 'the famous entropy pessimist')
- "Facebook profile of Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen". Facebook. Retrieved 15 August 2016.