|Died||December 13, 1947 (aged 73)|
|Occupation||painter, archaeologist, costume and set designer for ballets, operas, and dramas|
|Children||George de Roerich, |
Nicholas Roerich (//; October 9, 1874 – December 13, 1947) – also known as Nikolai Konstantinovich Rerikh (Russian: Никола́й Константи́нович Ре́рих) – was a Russian painter, writer, archaeologist and theosophist. Some people in Russia thought of him as an enlightener, philosopher, and public figure. He was interested in hypnosis and other spiritual practices. His paintings are said to have hypnotic expression. He was born in Saint Petersburg to a Russian mother and a Baltic German father. Roerich was an activist for the preserving of art and architecture during war time. He earned several nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize long list. The Roerich Pact which was signed into law in 1935 by the United States and most nations of the Pan-American Union was named after him.
References[change | change source]
- "ПЛАНЕТА "РЕРИХ" - Электронная библиотека". Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- Nicholas Roerich: In Search of Shambala by Victoria Klimentieva, стр. 31
- Nicholas Roerich Museum Archived October 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Andrei Znamenski, Red Shambhala: Magic, Prophecy, and Geopolitics in the Heart of Asia, Quest Books (2011), p. 157
- Nobel Prize Nomination Database