Northern Province, Sri Lanka
|Created||1 October 1833|
|Provincial council||14 November 1987|
|• Type||Provincial council|
|• Body||Northern Provincial Council|
|• Governor||Maj Gen G. A. Chandrasiri|
|• Chief Minister||C. V. Vigneswaran|
|• Total||8,884 km2 (3,430 sq mi)|
|• Land||8,290 km2 (3,200 sq mi)|
|Area rank||3rd (13.54% of total area)|
|Population (2012 census)|
|• Rank||9th (5.22% of total pop.)|
|• Density||119.176/km2 (308.665/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka (UTC+05:30)|
|Telephone Codes||021, 023, 024|
|ISO 3166 code||LK-4|
|Official languages||Tamil, Sinhala|
|Website||Northern Provincial Council|
The Northern Province (Tamil: வட மாகாணம் Vaṭakku Mākāṇam; Sinhala: උතුරු පළාත Uturu Paḷāta) is one of the nine provinces of Sri Lanka. The capital of the province is Jaffna. The Sri Lankan Civil War began in this province. It where most of the Tamil people in Sri Lanka live.
Provinces in Sri Lanka were created in the 19th century. Provincial councils were created in 1987 by a change to the Constitution. Between 1988 and 2006 the Northern Province and the Eastern Province were temporarily put together to make the North Eastern Province.
Districts[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Area of Sri Lanka by province and district". Statistical Abstract 2011. Department of Census & Statistics, Sri Lanka. http://www.statistics.gov.lk/Abstract2011/CHAP1/AB1-1.pdf.
- "A2 : Population by ethnic group according to districts, 2012". Census of Population & Housing, 2011. Department of Census & Statistics, Sri Lanka. http://www.statistics.gov.lk/PopHouSat/CPH2011/index.php?fileName=pop42&gp=Activities&tpl=3.
- "A trip to Sri Lanka's Tamil country". BBC News. 22 August 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8212770.stm.
- "Provinces of Sri Lanka". Statoids. http://www.statoids.com/ulk.html.
- "Provincial Councils". Government of Sri Lanka. http://www.priu.gov.lk/ProvCouncils/ProvicialCouncils.html.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Palk Strait||Bay of Bengal||Bay of Bengal|
Gulf of Mannar
|Bay of Bengal|
|North Western Province||North Central Province||Eastern Province|