|Publisher||Frantsishak Skaryna Belarusian Language Society|
|Circulation||3600 (February 2021)|
|Sister newspapers||Nasha Slova|
History[change | change source]
The government has been making troubles for Novy Chas all the time. Shortly after its start, Novy Chas was stopped to be printed. The newspaper was warned by the government of Belarus at the end of 2007. In June 2010, the paper was also warned by the Ministry of Information. Then it was took away from stores run by the government.
Since February 2021, the newspaper is taken away from stores run by the government again.
On May 28, 2021, the Deputy Prosecutor General of Belarus Maksim Voronin made a warning to the editor-in-chief of Novy Chas. The official did not like three stories printed in the newspaper in February and April 2021. The warning was written in Russian and had some citations from these Belarusian stories. Their translation from the Belarusian language into the Russian language was wrong, though. On June 7, 2021, Belposhta (Belpost (Belarusian: Белпошта), Belarusian postal service) said no to making an agreement on using its subscription services for the second half of 2021 to the office of Novy Chas.
On August 10, 2021, it became known that there will be no newspaper in the print form after August 12. The private printing house "Roll Print" wrote a letter about it on July 27. The printing house ran into troubles in the process of printing, so it became not possible to stick to the agreement on printing, it said. Novy Chas tried to find a new printing house but did not make it. Novy Chas promised that its website and social network services would be kept going.
Awards[change | change source]
- Knight International Journalism Award of John S. and James L. Knight Foundation (2008)
- Free Media Award (2009)
References[change | change source]
- Dimiter Kenarov (2012-03-02). "Tongue Oppressor". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "The "Novy Chas" Newspaper Resumed Publication". Kontrateksty. 2007-05-25. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Independent Belarusian Newspaper Threatened With Closure". Radio Free Europe. 2007-12-07. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Information Ministry Issues Warning to Newspaper Novy Chas". Democratic Belarus. 2010-06-14. Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Фотакор Яна Трусіла атрымала 13 сутак за сваю прафесійную дзейнасць". Новы Час (in Belarusian). 2020-11-02. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- "Фотакора «Новага Часу» Яну Трусіла асудзілі на 15 сутак (дапоўнена)". Новы Час (in Belarusian). 2020-11-30. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- "Печатную версию «Брестской газеты» постигла участь «Народной воли», «БелГазеты», «Свободных новостей Плюс»". mediaiq.by (in Russian). Brestskaya Gazeta. 2021-01-19. Archived from the original on 2021-01-19. Retrieved 2021-01-19.
- Shustin, Aaron (2021-06-02). "ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ ИЛИ ЭКСТРЕМИСТЫ?" (in Russian). Independent Israeli site / אתר ישראלי עצמאי / Независимый израильский сайт / Незалежны iзраiльскi сайт. Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- "«Белпочта» исключила газету «Новы Час» из подписного каталога" (in Russian). Brestskaya Gazeta. 2021-06-07. Archived from the original on 2021-06-07. Retrieved 2021-06-07.
- АД (2021-08-10). "Выхад газеты «Новы час» прыпынены: прыватная друкарня адмовілася яе друкаваць" (in Belarusian). Belsat. Archived from the original on 2021-08-11. Retrieved 2021-08-11.
- Dawn Arteaga (2008-07-03). "Belarus' Pioneering Editor and Ugandan Human Rights Reporter Named 2008 Knight International Journalism Award Winners". International Center for Journalists. Archived from the original on 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- Марина Рахлей (2008-07-04). "Алексей Король: лучше не премии получать, а жить в свободной стране" (in Russian). naviny.by. Retrieved 2013-07-17.
- "Belarusian Newspaper Novy Chas Wins Award of Germany's Zeit Foundation". Democratic Belarus. 2009-06-04. Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Free Press defenders receive awards at the Nobel Institute in Oslo". Human Rights House. 2011-06-17. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Недзяржаўная газета "Новы час" атрымала прэмію нямецкага фонда "Цайт"" (in Belarusian). European Radio for Belarus. 2009-06-04. Archived from the original on 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2017-01-17.