Office of Science and Technology Policy
|Formed||May 11, 1976|
|Headquarters||Eisenhower Executive Office Building|
725 17th Street, Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Parent agency||Executive Office of the President|
|Website||Office of Science and Technology Policy|
The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) is a department of the United States government, part of the Executive Office of the President (EOP), established by United States Congress on May 11, 1976, with a broad mandate to advise the President on the effects of science and technology on domestic and international affairs.
Background[change | change source]
Dr. John Holdren, Director, nominated in December 2008, served as Science Advisor to President Barack Obama. Holdren also co-chaired the President's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) and supported the President's National Science and Technology Council (NSTC).
List of Directors[change | change source]
|1||H. Guyford Stever||Gerald Ford||1976–1977|
|2||Frank Press||Jimmy Carter||1977–1981|
|Benjamin Huberman (acting)||Ronald Reagan||1981|
|3||George A. Keyworth, II||1981–1985|
|John P. McTague (acting)||1986|
|Richard G. Johnson (acting)||1986|
|4||William Robert Graham||1986–1989|
|Thomas P. Rona (acting)||1989|
|William G. Wells (acting)||George H. W. Bush||1989|
|5||D. Allan Bromley||1989–1993|
|6||John H. Gibbons||Bill Clinton||1993–1998|
|Kerri-Ann Jones (acting)||1998|
|7||Neal F. Lane||1998–2001|
|Rosina Bierbaum (acting)||George W. Bush||2001|
|Clifford Gabriel (acting)||2001|
|8||John H. Marburger III||2001–2009|
|Ted Wackler (acting)||Barack Obama||2009|
|10||Kelvin Droegemeier||Donald Trump||2019–2021|
|11||Eric Lander||Joe Biden||Since 2021|
References[change | change source]
- Office of the President-Elect (2008-12-20). "President-elect Obama announces key members of Science and Technology team". Press release. Archived from the original on 2009-05-10. https://web.archive.org/web/20090510090546/http://change.gov/newsroom/entry/president-elect_obama_announces_key_members_of_science_and_technology_team/. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "OSTP Leadership & Staff". Obama White House archives. Office of Science and Technology Policy. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "About PCAST". Obama White House archives. Office of Science and Technology Policy. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Biden will elevate White House science office to cabinet-level". The Washington Post. January 15, 2021.
- "Previous Science Advisors (1973–2009)". White House – via National Archives and Records Administration.