Om Prakesh Puri
18 October 1950
|Died||6 January 2017 (aged 66)|
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Education||National School of Drama|
|Alma mater||Film and Television Institute of India|
|Spouse(s)||Seema Kapoor (1991–1991)|
Nandita Puri (1993–2013)
Om Prakesh Puri  (18 October 1950 – 6 January 2017) was an Indian actor. He has appeared in mainstream commercial Pakistani, Indian, British, and Hollywood movies. He was also in independent and art movies.
Puri was known for his roles in Gandhi (1982), Ardh Satya (1983), City of Joy (1992), Wolf (1994), East Is East (1999) and in The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014). His career began in 1972. He also narrated the widely known Indian nature documentary Bharat Ek Khoj (1988).
He has been awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India. He won two National Film Awards in 1981 and in 1983. He was nominated for a BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role in 1999 for his role as George Khan in East Is East.
Puri was born in Ambala, Haryana, India. He studied at the Film and Television Institute of India and in the National School of Drama. He was married to Nandita Puri from 1993 until they divorced in 2013.
References[change | change source]
- "Indian actor Om Puri awarded OBE". British Broadcasting Corporation. 23 July 2004.
- "BBC NEWS — South Asia — Indian actor Om Puri awarded OBE". bbc.co.uk.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Om Puri passes away after a massive heart attack". The Indian Express. 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- "Indian actor Om Puri dies aged 66". BBC News. 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Om Puri at Wikimedia Commons