Om Shanti Om
This article needs more sources for reliability. (February 2022)
The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (September 2011)
|Om Shanti Om|
|Directed by||Farah Khan|
|Written by||Topper Alam|
|Produced by||Gauri Khan|
|Starring||Shah Rukh Khan|
|Edited by||Shirish Kunder|
|Distributed by||Red Chillies Entertainment|
|November 9, 2007|
|170 mins (2 Hours & 50 Mins)|
|Budget||Rs 350,000,000 |
$8.9 Million (approximately)
|Box office||Domestic: Rs 81,24,00,000|
Worldwide: $37,707,444 
Om Shanti Om (transl. Peace Be With You) is a 2007 Bollywood movie directed and choreographed by Farah Khan. It stars Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone in the lead roles as the protagonists while Shreyas Talpade, Arjun Rampal, and Kirron Kher feature in supporting roles. Arjun Rampal is the antagonist in the movie. This is the Bollywood debut of Deepika Padukone. This movie was released on November 9, 2007, and was a blockbuster. More than forty-two well-known Bollywood stars from yesteryear and today appear in the course of the movie, including thirty-one of them (not including the stars of the movie) in one song alone. The song "Deewangi Deewangi" is also notable for that reason.
Plot[change | change source]
1977[change | change source]
Om Prakash Makhija is a poor young boy who is a junior film artist in Bollywood and lives with his widowed mother Bela Makhija and close friend Pappu Master in a small chawl in Mumbai. He is in love with Shantipriya, a beautiful young woman who is a popular film actress in Bollywood. Om often expresses his feelings before Shanti's film poster and desires to meet her.
One night, he sneaks into the premiere of one of her films "Dreamy Girl" along with Pappu in disguise. Later that night, a drunk Om gives an emotional speech to Pappu as he dreams of becoming a great actor. Om and Pappu take small acting roles in films which are filmed at R.C. Studios, a major filming compound owned by Mukesh Mehra, a charming but egotistical person who is a wealthy and famous film producer.
While shooting one day, Shanti gets trapped in a fire that grows out of control during filming. Risking his life, Om jumps into the fire and rescues her. Shanti is grateful towards him, and the two become friends. Om lies to Shanti that he is a famous South-Indian actor to impress her. He even puts an act of the filming of his South-Indian film, but ultimately tells Shanti the truth of him being a small-time junior actor upon seeing her genuine fondness for him.
Shanti forgives Om and they spend a happy evening with each other, and she gifts him a snow globe. However, things take a turn when Om accidentally ends up overhearing a heated conversation between Shanti and Mukesh. He is shocked to discover that they have been married for two years but have not revealed it in public as that will ruin both of their careers. Shanti reveals to Mukesh that she is also pregnant with his child, leaving Om heartbroken. He avoids Shanti entirely.
The next night, Mukesh takes Shanti to the set of her upcoming film titled Om Shanti Om and tells her that they will cancel its production and have a grand marriage ceremony over there. Om reaches there to meet Shanti for the last time and return her snow globe but is dejected upon seeing her with Mukesh. He leaves from there and throws the snow globe in a fountain pond nearby.
Meanwhile, Mukesh tells Shanti that his marriage with Shanti and the unborn child will destroy his successful career. In order to prevent that, he lights up the set with fire and locks a horrified Shanti in it, in order to kill her and the unborn child. As he exits the set, Om spots Shanti in the flames and attempts to go and rescue her but is attacked by Mukesh's guards, leaving him severely injured. After they leave, he manages to enter the set but is thrown out of the building by a big explosion. Om staggers on the road as the set burns down with Shanti in it.
Om is left devastated upon witnessing this and suddenly gets hit by the car of renowned actor Rajesh Kapoor. He takes him to a hospital with his pregnant wife Lovely Kapoor who is under labor. The serious injuries of Om result in his death while still reminiscing about Shanti. Rajesh's assistant Nasser asks his surgeon to keep this a secret from Bela and Pappu. Moments later, Rajesh and Lovely are blessed with a baby boy, and they name him Om Kapoor.
2007[change | change source]
30 years later, Om Kapoor is shown as a rich young man who is a superstar in Bollywood and is revealed to be the rebirth of Om Prakash Makhija. He experiences Pyrophobia and often comes across Bela who believes him to be her son and tries to take him to her house. An aged Pappu tries to make her understand that he is someone else but she pays no heed to him. Om also ignores her and leaves upon thinking that she has gone crazy.
He and his assistant Anwar Sheikh subsequently drive to the abandoned R.C. Studios for the filming of one of Om's films. Om recognizes the place and experiences some flashbacks of his previous life. He even finds Shanti's broken snow globe and is confused. That night, Om remembers the emotional speech he had given to Pappu in a drunken state when he wins the Filmfare Award for Best Actor. As he gives the same speech to the audience, Pappu watches his award function on TV and realizes that his friend is reborn as Om Kapoor. Meanwhile, a grand party is thrown for Om's success. Om remembers his whole previous life upon being visited by Mukesh, who now works in Hollywood and wishes to make a film with him.
Later that night, he traces Bela and Pappu to the crawl and has an emotional reunion with them. The three plan to avenge Shanti's death by making Mukesh confess his crime.
The next day, Om manages to convince Mukesh to resume the filming of Om Shanti Om at the same ruined R.C. Studios. He auditions several actresses to find Shanti's look-alike but in vain. However, Om ends up coming across Sandhya aka Sandy, a ditzy but lovely girl who is an exact doppelganger of Shanti. He hires her without revealing his plan and ends up firing her as she is unable to act properly. On Pappu's advice, Om reveals his plan to Sandy who promises him that she will help him according to his plan.
At the inaugural ceremony of the Om Shanti Om set, Bela scares Mukesh in the disguise of an old witch, and Om and Pappu try to light Shanti's photograph on fire to remind him of his crime. Although the setup doesn't work, the photograph is supernaturally lit by fire which disturbs Mukesh and confuses Om and Pappu. Mukesh is more horrified when Sandy appears in front of him dressed as Shanti in a make-up room. Eventually, he decides to leave for America after seeing Shanti in the footage of Om Shanti Om but Om asks him to wait for some days. He eventually performs the story of Shanti's life through a song in front of Mukesh during the music launch of Om Shanti Om. However, Mukesh discovers Sandy's real identity as her body bleeds due to an injury. Mukesh attempts to chase her but is knocked unconscious by a falling chandelier.
After he regains consciousness, Om confronts him over his crime but Mukesh taunts him that he or his "duplicate Shanti" cannot convict him for the murder as there is no proof for it. Just then, Sandy reaches the scene. She reveals that after the fire in the set died down, Mukesh returned to the place. Shanti was still alive then, but he buried her alive under the chandelier. She concludes that Shanti's corpse will be found under the chandelier, which will be proof of her murder for the court. Mukesh denies her revelation and attempts to shoot her but Om attacks him and a fire breaks out on the set. He shoots him in his leg and is about to murder him but Sandy stops him, saying that Mukesh is destined to die but not in his hands. She looks at the chandelier which falls and strikes Mukesh dead.
The next moment, Om is shocked when Pappu and Anwar reach the scene along with "Sandy". As he glances back at the one in front of him, he realizes that the one who had revealed the proof of Shanti's murder and killed Mukesh was the real Shanti, a.k.a. the ghost of Shanti. She was responsible for lighting the photograph with fire and knocking Mukesh unconscious too, helping him in his plan. Om reunites with Sandy and waves at Shanti who tearfully smiles at him and disappears, having finally attained peace.
The film ends with all its cast and crew approaching the set of Om Shanti Om and the credits roll.
Cast[change | change source]
- Shah Rukh Khan as
- Deepika Padukone as
- Shantipriya aka Shanti – A yesteryear Bollywood actress, Om Prakash's crush.
- Sandhya 'Sandy' Bansal – Shantipriya's doppelgänger, OK's love interest (Mona Ghosh Shetty as the Hindi dubbing voice)
- Arjun Rampal as Mukesh 'Mike' Mehra aka Mikey – A film producer and Shanti's husband
- Shreyas Talpade as Pappu Master – Om Prakash's friend who supported O.K. later.
- Kirron Kher as Bela Makhija – Om Prakash's mother
- Bindu Desai as Kamini Arora – Dolly's mother
- Javed Sheikh as Rajesh Kapoor – O.K.'s father
- Satish Shah as Partho Roy
- Yuvika Chaudhary as Dolly Arora – Kamini's daughter and O.K.'s friend
- Nitesh Pandey as Anwar – O.K.'s assistant
- Asawari Joshi as Lovely Kapoor – O.K.'s mother and Rajesh's wife
- Nasser Abdullah as Nasser
- Shawar Ali as Shawar
- Lin Laishram as Om Kapoor's friend
- Cameo appearances
- Amitabh Bachchan as himself
- Anil Kapoor as himself
- Uday Chopra as himself
- Hrithik Roshan as himself
- Abhishek Bachchan as himself
- Akshay Kumar as himself
- Bipasha Basu as herself
- Aishwarya Rai as herself
- Amisha Patel as herself, Om Kapoor's heroine at Filmfare Awards
- Diya Mirza as herself, Om Kapoor's heroine at Filmfare Awards.
- Arshad Warsi as himself
- Gul Panag as herself
- Bappi Lahiri as himself
- Chunky Pandey as himself
- Dhananjay Singh as himself
- Farah Khan as the woman who makes fun of Om Prakash when the show ends.
- Feroz Khan as himself
- Gauri Khan as herself
- Karan Johar as himself
- Koena Mitra as herself
- Malaika Arora as herself
- Mayur Puri as the director of Apahij Pyar
- Vishal Dadlani as the director of Mohabbat Man, a superhero film
- Manikandan Velayutham as the director of Mind It, a parody of action films
- Priya Patil as Natasha, heroine of Apahij Pyar
- Rakesh Roshan as himself
- Rishi Kapoor as himself
- Shabana Azmi as herself
- Soumya Seth as Audience
- Subhash Ghai as himself while shooting his iconic film Karz.
- Yash Chopra as himself
- Special appearances during the song "Deewangi Deewangi" (in appearance order)
- Rani Mukherjee
- Zayed Khan
- Vidya Balan
- Jeetendra Kapoor
- Tusshar Kapoor
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra
- Dharmendra Deol
- Shabana Azmi
- Urmila Matondkar
- Karishma Kapoor
- Arbaaz Khan
- Malaika Arora Khan
- Dino Morea
- Amrita Arora
- Juhi Chawla
- Aftab Shivdasani
- Tabu Hashmi
- Govinda Ahuja
- Mithun Chakraborty
- Kajol Devgan
- Bobby Deol
- Preity Zinta
- Rekha Ganesan
- Salman Khan
- Saif Ali Khan
- Sanjay Dutt
- Lara Dutta
- Sunil Shetty
- Rishi Kapoor
Crew[change | change source]
- Producer: Gauri Khan.
- Director: Farah Khan
- Screenplay: Farah Khan
- Story: Farah Khan, Mayur Puri & Mushtaq Sheikh
- Dialogue: Mayur Puri
- Editor: Shirish Kunder
- Music: Vishal-Shekhar
- Choreography: Farah Khan & Prabhu Ramaswamy
- Lyrics: Javed Akhtar, Vishal Dadlani & Kumaar
- Cinematography: V. Manikandan
- Assistant Directors: Vaibhav Mishra, Joyeeta Chatterji, Kanika Dhillon, Pooja Desai, Parag Kalica, Arunabh Kumar, Zoa Morani
- Executive Producer: Sanjiv Chawala
- Director of Photography: V. Manikandan
- Art Director: Sabu Cyril
- Action Directors: Sham Kaushal, Aamar Shetty, Angelo Sahin
- Background Music: Sandeep Chowta
- Visual Effects Studios: Red Chillies VFX
Box office[change | change source]
The film grossed more than 1 billion in India and $287 million in overseas and become All-time blockbuster movie in 2007 for one year. As of 2017, this film is 36th in the list of highest-grossing films.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Top Lifetime Grossers Worldwide (IND Rs)". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 "Om Shanti Om Cast". Box Office India. Archived from the original on 15 January 2018. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- ↑ "Here's why Korean pop is more popular than Priyanka Chopra's Mary Kom in Manipur- Entertainment News, Firstpost". firstpost.com. Archived from the original on 17 January 2018. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- ↑ "Box Office India". Box Ofice India. Retrieved 15 March 2017.