Outerbridge Crossing looking southwest towards New Jersey.
|Carries||4 lanes of Route 440/ NY 440|
|Locale||Perth Amboy, New Jersey and southwestern Staten Island, New York City, New York|
|Maintained by||Port Authority of New York and New Jersey|
|Design||Steel cantilever bridge|
|Total length||10,140 feet (3,091 m)|
|Width||62 feet (18.9 m)|
|Longest span||750 feet (229 m)|
|Clearance above||14 feet (4.3 m)|
|Clearance below||143 feet (43.6 m)|
|Opened||June 29, 1928|
|Daily traffic||77,107 (2016)|
|Toll||(Eastbound only) As of January 5, 2020:|
The Outerbridge Crossing is a cantilever bridge that connects Perth Amboy, New Jersey and Staten Island, New York. It was designed by John Alexander Low Waddell and built by the Port of New York Authority (now the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey). It opened on June 29, 1928, the same day that the Goethals Bridge to Elizabeth, New Jersey opened. It was named after Eugenius Harvey Outerbridge, the first chairman of the Port of New York Authority. The bridge is of one of three bridges for cars that connect Staten Island with New Jersey. The other bridges are the Goethals Bridge and the Bayonne Bridge to Bayonne, New Jersey.
References[change | change source]
- Jackson, Kenneth T., ed. (1995), The Encyclopedia of New York City, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 870, ISBN 0300055366
- "Facts & Info - Outerbridge Crossing - The Port Authority of NY & NJ:". http://www.panynj.gov. Retrieved January 19, 2014. External link in
- "New York City Bridge Traffic Volumes" (PDF). New York City Department of Transportation. 2016. p. 11. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- Richman, Steven M. (2005). The Bridges of New Jersey: Portraits of Garden State Crossings. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. pp. 103–104. ISBN 0-8135-3510-7.
- "Two Bridges Open Over Arthur Kill". The New York Times. June 30, 1928. p. 35.
- "E. H. Outerbridge, Port Expert, Dies. Head Of Export And Import Firm And Ex-Chairman Of Port Of New York Authority". The New York Times. November 11, 1932.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Outerbridge Crossing.|