|Based on||Oggy and the Cockroaches|
by Jean-Yves Raimbaud
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||13[source?]|
|No. of episodes||655|
|Running time||7 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Toonz Animation|
|Original network||Nickelodeon India (2013–2018)|
Sonic Nickelodeon (2018–present)
|Original release||27 May 2013 –|
Pakdam Pakdai (transl. Chasing), also known as Rat-A-Tat (for the English-language release), is an Indian Flash-animated comedy television series, formerly on Nickelodeon India and currently airing on Sonic Nickelodeon. The series is an adaptation of a 1998 french animated series, Oggy and the Cockroaches by Jean-Yves Raimbaud and Xilam, likely due to licensing issues and the show's immense popularity in India.
The show began airing on 27 May 2013 to present. It now telecasts 585 episodes on Sonic Nickelodeon. Some aspects of the series are based on several Indian dubs of Oggy and the Cockroaches, which added dialogue parodying Bollywood actors and filmmakers including a narrator (unlike the French series' German dub) based on Nana Patekar, some of which even localized character names. Pakdam Pakdai is narrated by Nana, the eponymous narrator. Worldwide releases of the show, however, omit these in favor of silent comedy.
Characters[change | change source]
The main cast are inspired by Oggy's notable characters, for the first three seasons. They later introduce Betty, who is Olivia's counterpart. The character's names were changed to be more American-sounding for international versions.
- Doggy Don (Don) is a pink dog. He would be an everyman, but he has bad luck dealing with the mice. He is based off of Oggy.
- Karnal (Colonel) is Don's older brother. He is moreso the tougher type, and helps Don whenever he can. He is based off of Jack.
Mice (called the "Chuha Party", or "Rat Party"):
- Chhotu (Charly) is the leader of the group. He wears glasses and is shown to be the ingenious one. He is based off of Joey.
- Motu (Marly) is the youngest mouse. He also has a big appetite, much to Chhotu's chagrin. He is based off of Dee Dee.
- Lambu (Larry) is another mouse. He has black hair and is the laid-back jokester. He is based off of Marky.
Other characters include:
- Nana the Narrator, who appears in the Hindi version. He commentates throughout episodes.
- Major Saab Jr. (Thaw), Don and Karnal's friend. Like Motu, he also has an appetite.
- The Doctor, who owns multiple buildings, like a police department and a school. He is foolish as he often falls for the Chuha Party's schemes.
- Ballu (Rox), a cranky Great Dane dog. If one were to anger him, he would beat them up without hesitation.
- Betty (Meow), a golden retriever. She is the love interest of Don and plays the role of straight man. She debuts in the 64th episode of season 2. She is based off of Olivia.
- Sammy, a squirrel who would not go one day without ruining someone else's. He acts devilish no matter what. He debuts in the 58th episode of season 2. In, “Garbage Wale”, everyone walk away from smell, garbage mess the town.
- The Terminator, who is a crocodile in a blue shirt debuting in season 2. He also appears without his outfit in one of the movies of this show, "Doggy Don in Egypt".